also over wintering in garage advice needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
for three days the tanks have been steady at pH 7.6 and ammonia 0.25. My used Eheim filter option fell through so I'm going to get my Fluval canister going in the big tub and an internal filter for the small tub, I'm going to Florida for a week and my inlaws can keep an eye on the fish but won't be comfortable doing any tests. Should I just have them drop in some neutralizers every 3-4 days to be safe?

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
To be honest
Since there is no cycle and you are just getting filters set up.
And nobody to test and do small water changes I really think those fish are going to struggle. Even with some one guessing and putting nutrilizer in.
No friend or good neighbors that would come by one a day and test
And do a small water change and add nutrilizer if needed ?

I guess the best thing is to do a strong water change add some chemicals and pray for the best.

Ruben

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
for three days the tanks have been steady at pH 7.6 and ammonia 0.25. My used Eheim filter option fell through so I'm going to get my Fluval canister going in the big tub and an internal filter for the small tub, I'm going to Florida for a week and my inlaws can keep an eye on the fish but won't be comfortable doing any tests. Should I just have them drop in some neutralizers every 3-4 days to be safe?

I would add the neutralizer every 24 hours.
You don't know anyone else that could home your fish until your setup completes it's cycle, do you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok, got filters in on both tanks, I guess now it's time to pray....
I'm going to see a neighbor tomorrow who has a pond and see if I can get some media to add to the filters

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
thanks Mitch I'll be sure to use this.

I'm thinking to put a bag of Chemi-Pure in the tanks. Thoughts?

I would not use chemi pure if you are also using the neutralizer.
The neutralizer contains phosphate which the chemi pure would try to remove.
Phosphate would encourage algae growth which would be good for your water quality and fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
back from Florida and fortunately fish are all good.
filters are still running fine and monitoring water for signs of cycling.

after one week with a 30% water change and running the filters, pH is around 7.6 and ammonia is at 0.5. My pH kit only reads to 7.6, so its very likely higher than that. What is a safe pH range for the fish while I'm cycling the tanks? Seems like I should get a kit with a wider pH range.

waiting for my nitrate and nitrite test kit to come in the mail. Mitch and others have talked a lot about proper monitoring of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels to identify cycling. At what ammonia levels are acceptable during this cycle start up? Also what's the correlation between the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you think the PH is higher than your kit goes, do get a high range test. Ammonia is more toxic when the PH is higher. If these were my fish, I'd do a water change ( with de chlor ) and keep testing the ammonia.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Glad to here your babies are and did good.
A good ph is around 7 or so
A cycle goes as follows
Ammonia then nitrites then nitates
Ammonia you want 0.00
Nitrites you want 0.00
Nitrates you want to keep around 5 to 20 ppm you do this thru water changes and evaporation.
You also want to keep a eye on phosphate
If you had planets they would help keep nitrate and phos in check for the most part.
But not having plants water changes are nessary to keep them from building up to high. Although they are not killers per say they can cause a algae bloom.
Also if you have not done,so make sure you test the water you are using for water changes. You could be adding the above to the tank water.

Ruben

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
30% weekly change for an uncycled filter is bad for the fish.... go with 90%.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
strange readings a few days ago
one tank had high nitrite readings but zero ammonia
second tank had low nitrite but high ammonia, I added ammonia neutralizer to the this tank to avoid injury to the fish

For ammonia I'm using a liquid test kit but nitrates and nitrites one of those stick combo kits.
Any suggestions what to do? I'm planning on doing a water change tomorrow if the water doesn't stabilize

everything was great for a full month without need a water change, then this.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
PH can be stabilized with crushed oyster shells but I keep my ph at 8 and ammonia can be taken care of with zeolite .I used pdz horse stall refresher for that it just needs a fine bag which I make out of window screening .I had a little spike even though i used all the water from my pond when i rebuilt .I put that as stress to the fish .Ammonia is zero now
100_9958.JPG
100_9966.JPG
100_7400.JPG

Ask a Question