also over wintering in garage advice needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
PH can be stabilized with crushed oyster shells but I keep my ph at 8 and ammonia can be taken care of with zeolite .I used pdz horse stall refresher for that it just needs a fine bag which I make out of window screening .I had a little spike even though i used all the water from my pond when i rebuilt .I put that as stress to the fish .Ammonia is zero now View attachment 97117 View attachment 97118 View attachment 97119
where do you find crush oyster shells? Will that starve off any bio systems in the tanks?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope used it for years and buy it at tractor supply but most farm stores sell it .Pdz is crushed zeolite .That is the reason for the home made window screen bags .I also plant my pond plants in it zeolite crushed oyster shells and kitty litter
100_9955.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of ponders here use it and it is better than chemicals everyday

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That reads like pH. What are the tanks water temperatures?
geez, I'm multi-tasking too much 40 degrees F, fluctuates 2 plus minus, been warmer in NJ recently so water could have been closer to 43

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
geez, I'm multi-tasking too much 40 degrees F, fluctuates 2 plus minus, been warmer in NJ recently so water could have been closer to 43
OK. Obviously your tanks are still cycling. At 40F-45F. I would expect several weeks before a cycle is complete. Bacterial action at these temperature, although still existing, is greatly reduced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can neutralize the ammonia, but not sure what to do with the tank with the high nitirites
plan to do a 25% water change but also some help, will Chemipure or Nitra-zorb be of use?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If the Nitrite level is below 2.0, do 50% water changes daily, testing the Nitrite level before each water change in order to track cycling.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Next winter get a bigger setup, less work and will cycle sooner. Either build something or buy a 8x8 tub.

Glad your fish made it.:)

Ask a Question