I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just collect them over the internet.
Just do a search for animated gifs or do a specific search for animated dogs, cats, people or anything you can think of.........it's all out there on the world wide web.
Then you just right click on them and click save image as and send them to where you want to keep them on your computer and if you have a free photobucket
account you can then upload them there from your computer and then paste them on the forum when you want to use one. You can also right click on mine
or anyone else's and do the same thing. It's just a fun thing to do and I've been saving them for years.
lookin.gif

Reaction score
ok so i got some animated gifs but how do i copy them over and i should of known where you get them from cause i use them for power point in school all the time ! i just dont know how to upload them to here J.W. so please help

Reaction score
ok thanks for the info, having to think out my planting with a bit more caution ! so can anybody recomend any evergreens i can plant close to the pond and also a climber as the pond is right beside the newly built pagoda and i really wanted something to climb up the pagoda, i had already purchased some honeysuckle foe this purpose but in light of this information it will be planted elsewhere i the garden away from the pond,
thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
pondbuilder13 said:
hahahahhahhhhahhahahhhaha JW i got it yes yes yes

Yep you have got it now pondbuilder. Did you get a photo bucket account.........cuz it makes it super easy if you have one. You can organize so you don't have to search all over for stuff :cool:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
mogsie said:
ok thanks for the info, having to think out my planting with a bit more caution ! so can anybody recomend any evergreens i can plant close to the pond and also a climber as the pond is right beside the newly built pagoda and i really wanted something to climb up the pagoda, i had already purchased some honeysuckle foe this purpose but in light of this information it will be planted elsewhere i the garden away from the pond,
thanks

I have a few evergreens around my pond that I really like:

Wissel's Saguaro Lawson Cypress. Only grows about 4" per year and has a narrow,upright growing habit w/ deep blue/green foilage.
It's the taller one. I also like the little one on the right and it is also very slow to grow (Top Point White Cedar) only growing to 24 or 30" total in prolly 20 yrs. The very small round one is Rimpelaar Lawson Cypress (rare dwarf conifer that grows less than 1" per year.
Just depends on what you like and how big they get and what you can find that catches your eye.

CopyofNONAME06.jpg

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
A word about elephant ears (taro) and a question....

There was an elephant ear planted right next to the pond when we bought this house and the koi ate any leaves that fell in and it didn't seem to bother them, but apparently the sap can be irritating to some people. I never had a problem with that either. My problem is that when the plant grew back after freezing last winter, it got even bigger and more aggressive and by the end of the summer, the roots were growing through the pond liner. Oh wait, I have two questions now...

1. Will the roots hurt the fish?

2. Do I need to move the plant or will it be okay leaving it alone?

I want to keep it somewhere in the yard because I use the leaves to make concrete bird baths, but I don't want it to damage the pond.

Reaction score
I use the elephant ears as part of my natural filtration on 3 of the ponds. The roots grow freely out in to the water. I can't say for sure the roots won't hurt the fish. But they are hanging out there for the Koi to eat and no deaths in years. I keep mine potted and let the roots grow out of the pots. Yes they are submersed. They have never bored through the thick pond liners I have. But if they are rooting through yours, I would move it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If they are getting through your liner then it is too thin and should be replaced anyway. A good EPDM liner will last 50 years and no plant will ever go through it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JustJack said:
A word about elephant ears (taro) and a question....

My problem is that when the plant grew back after freezing last winter, it got even bigger and more aggressive and by the end of the summer, the roots were growing through the pond liner. .

Are the roots growing through your liner? or creeping over the top of the liner into the water?

If through the liner your pond would be losing water by now, I would think. I had plants that sent roots over the top of the liner into the water, but not through the liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do not understand the list as foods we eat are not safe for our fish is that because they cannot digest it .

I saw about plants on the internet and roots growing through pond liners .Also about gophers and moles first time I saw it it was on the show This Old House and the other was DIY show The Gardner Guy because he was putting in a pond and stream

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been using elephant ears in my creek and pond for the last two years, the only issue I had with them was at the end of the season when I pull them up for the winter can be a struggle because their roots grow like a thick blanket and can get under any rocks you may have, this is especially true in my creek. They do give the pond a more tropical feel and provide lots of shade in the creek.

Ask a Question