bagspond update for February

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, the pond is coming along nicely. I agree with Nanner - can't wait to see it with the water in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice. Looks like to will have a few leaves come fall with the good size tree your neighbor has. When do you think you will be up and running?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Very nice. Looks like to will have a few leaves come fall with the good size tree your neighbor has. When do you think you will be up and running?
If sure will! I put a skimmer in for that very reason -- I will probably try netting also, come Fall.
I'd love to have water in it by the end of the month, but I'm guessing it will be more like early March.
I'm getting very excited to have it going! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm curious as to why you decided to line the main part of your pond which rocks?
I know it's a hot-button issue! Lots of opinions on whether to line with rocks or not. I know there are pros and cons. I started out watching the Pond Diggers tutorial series of How to Build a Fish Pond. He did a rock-lined eco-pond and I loved everything about it.

For me, I love the very natural look. Reminds me of some of the rock pools that formed off of rivers in the Smokys. I'm doing an ecosystem/wildlife pond, rather than a koi pond, too. Rather than the really striking, artistic look of the all-black liner contrasting with brilliant koi (which is surely gorgeous!) I'm liking the natural tones and textures of all the rocks. I don't ever plan to scrub it clean. I know the rocks will provide places for gunk to settle and stuff to grow.
When I get back on here complaining about all the trials and tribulations of having a rock lined pond -- everyone can feel free to say: I told'ja so! :)
For now, I'm really enjoying the process!!!!!! Fingers crossed that it goes well!
I'm headed back outside now -- love playing in the dirt!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never understand why people plant trees so close to a house .You can always take them out later if you decide .I want a rocked pondless .I love the look of rocks in a pond but for me too much .But it is a choice we all make when we build a pond .I had rocks in one side of my pond when I first built it years ago

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Never understand why people plant trees so close to a house .You can always take them out later if you decide .I want a rocked pondless .I love the look of rocks in a pond but for me too much .But it is a choice we all make when we build a pond .I had rocks in one side of my pond when I first built it years ago
That big old tree is sort of leaning to one side, too! Over our house! Eeeek!
So far it's healthy. We are watching it and will help the neighbor take it down if it starts to look unhealthy.
Our neighborhood is old. A few blocks away, we have a house from 1838! At the end of our street, houses start from the 1880s and move up in date as you go. Neighbor's is from about 1920. Ours is 1934.
If I had to guess, I'm betting that giant tree was from an acorn. I wouldn't be surprised if someone just let it go when it was tiny -- then let it go as it grew. We have a few between the properties that even 20 years ago were much smaller. We didn't worry about them and now they are looking sort of big. In 20 more years, we might think they are a problem! Yikes.

Today I worked on the grade and berm around the pond. Not as fun as playing with rocks, plants, and water -- but I'll get there! I'll take pix later. I feel like I got a lot done and it was time well spent. Yay!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I know it's a hot-button issue! Lots of opinions on whether to line with rocks or not. I know there are pros and cons. I started out watching the Pond Diggers tutorial series of How to Build a Fish Pond. He did a rock-lined eco-pond and I loved everything about it.

For me, I love the very natural look. Reminds me of some of the rock pools that formed off of rivers in the Smokys. I'm doing an ecosystem/wildlife pond, rather than a koi pond, too. Rather than the really striking, artistic look of the all-black liner contrasting with brilliant koi (which is surely gorgeous!) I'm liking the natural tones and textures of all the rocks. I don't ever plan to scrub it clean. I know the rocks will provide places for gunk to settle and stuff to grow.
When I get back on here complaining about all the trials and tribulations of having a rock lined pond -- everyone can feel free to say: I told'ja so! :)
For now, I'm really enjoying the process!!!!!! Fingers crossed that it goes well!
I'm headed back outside now -- love playing in the dirt!

This was one of the first things that I noticed in your photo. The key difference between what you have done and too many other gravel/rock bottom ponds is the size of the rock/gravel. Pea gravel, which is most commonly used, is too small. From an ecological stand point, rock/gravel of 1" - 1.5" is the most preferred size for micro-organism populations. You have used what appears to be small to medium cobbles. Although considerably larger then 1" - 1.5", they will still provide the environment for mini-habitats. This will greatly increase the diversity of life in your pond. The greater the diversity the the healthier and more stable the eco-system.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here they sell it buy size 3 ,4 6,8 and 12 inch size ,You have to bring buckets if you want to pick it yourself a dollar for a 5 gallon bucket full

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It seems like every place calls it all something different. The stuff lining the sides of my pond, they called river rock. (We just picked a palleted quantity that was about the right size.) The small stuff in there is what they called egg rock. On The Pond Digger videos, he refers to "cobble" and speaks of gravel by size - ex. 3 in minus. (I didn't get the minus thing.)

Then on an unrelated note - sort of - I was telling a friend I was buying rocks for my birthday. She said "Why do you have to buy them? They should be free! They are ROCKS!" Made me laugh! :)

I've decided I have the "Pond Problem" for sure. We are scheduled to go on a college tour with my son tomorrow. My arm is tingly and numb (ulnar nerve) so clearly I need a day to rest. I really, really, REALLY want to stay home tomorrow and shovel egg rock for our beach/patio instead of going on the tour. (But I won't.)

Ask a Question