Bakki Shower

Reaction score
Has anyone here built there own Bakki shower filter? I built my own mechanical and biological filter, but there is something about the Bakki shower that I like. It's almost like a functional art piece.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm in the discussion with a guy that is showing me some designs and different approaches. He makes one that looks kind of like a lantern that is really cool and doesn't take up a lot of room. He's also telling me about a rotor drum filter that uses sieve technology along with trickle filter technology. It's pretty impressive as well.

Reaction score
That's awesome! I think if filters could be viewed differently they could actually become another highlight of a pond. I think their functionality can give the pond more aesthetic value, but maybe I am crazy :regular_waving_emot

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Seems the Bakki Shower uses unsubmerged ceramic media. Unless you can keep it from freezing I expect that it will self destruct like a water logged concrete paver.

Reaction score
HTH said:
Seems the Bakki Shower uses unsubmerged ceramic media. Unless you can keep it from freezing I expect that it will self destruct like a water logged concrete paver.

whether that happens or not I am sure that worse case scenario you could just bring the media indoors over the winter?

and as soon as I hit my tenth post I will see if I can post a picture...

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can search them on Youtube. I'm trying to get someone to come to the site and show their design. Due to advertising and infringment on others designs I think it is in best intrest that I try to get someone that has built one to come here and explain how they work and show pics of them. But I am working on it.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is one I found on Youtube to show the basic idea. Since this one is posted already in public on Youtube I don't see why I can't share it here. This paticular unit is using feather rock for the media, unlike Ceramic it doesn't break down. Keep in mind though that the water passing through the unit has already been prefiltered to remove all larger debris before reacking the tower. The unit is designed for optimal Biological filtration and high oxygen saturation. It's NOT designed to remove trash or particles from the water.

[ame]

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is a pic of Zac Penn's design, he uses cermedia and from the tests he has done it's about the best product on the market for this application. 300,000 cubic ft of surface area in a single tray design! Here is one of his large single tray designs. Designed for 8,000-15,000 gallon size pond. This paticular unit was built for a customer and then the customer added the tile to blend into the design of the pond. One of the nicest designs I have seen so far.

Attachments

• Zakki%20Shower.jpg
    Zakki%20Shower.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,122
Reaction score
Thats the thing I have looked at many different types of media for a good substitute, but idk if there is anything that works as good as the ceramic media.

Idk if it's a good substitute, but what do you think about pumice?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pumice (volcanic rock) is the same as lava rock. Although most pumice is white and lava rock is red, they are the same basically.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
DrDave said:
Pumice (volcanic rock) is the same as lava rock. Although most pumice is white and lava rock is red, they are the same basically.

I was under the impression that the Bacteria House media was required.

If one uses lava rock how is this any different then any other trickle filter filled with lava rock ?

I am a bit of a filter skeptic but obviously I need to read more about Bakki Showers.

Reaction score
I am definitely with you when it comes to filter skepticism, thats partially why I made my own filtration system plus the prices are ridiculous.

I also think you are right about the bacteria house being a huge part of the Bakki Showers, but it also seems that the benefit of the Bakki Showers is the surface room that I don't think other trickle filters can offer. However, this again has a lot to do with the bacteria house.

I do encourage you to read more about it though.

Ask a Question