Barlus underwater camera

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah the photo quality is terrible, the software is terrible but the ability to see my fish - first rate!

Here's a few I took today (and then I went outside and scooped leaves - those magnolia leaves are always the last to fall and the don't break down... ever!)

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah the photo quality is terrible, the software is terrible but the ability to see my fish - first rate!

Here's a few I took today (and then I went outside and scooped leaves - those magnolia leaves are always the last to fall and the don't break down... ever!)

View attachment 161367

View attachment 161368

View attachment 161369
Yeah its oak leaves for me that refuse to fold and be sucked up by the vacuum. so i have the pond setup so i really don't have to do much with leaves. The swamp maple is a bit much i net those out in the dead pool as they get pulled in and the oaks when they make it to the pond because the leaves are so strong they jab into things and don't always get puled into the intake bay. They are the ones that sink and I'll leave until spring giving frogs etc a place to hide and sleep for the winter. Then in the spring the oaks have softened just enough to be vacuumed out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. I was just watching an aquascape build yesterday and Ed was talking about how important the biodiversity is in a pond... leaves, silt, wood, stone, moss, etc. So I figure I'm just going with that theory!

My big old koi LOVES to knock the camera on its side. Right now I'm watching a sideways picture. I'll go out when I can stand to stick my arm up to the shoulder in the water rand straighten it back up. I'm going to use the winter to figure out some kind of mount I can put the camera on that makes it easy for me to move and difficult for my fish to knock over!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yup. I was just watching an aquascape build yesterday and Ed was talking about how important the biodiversity is in a pond... leaves, silt, wood, stone, moss, etc. So I figure I'm just going with that theory!

My big old koi LOVES to knock the camera on its side. Right now I'm watching a sideways picture. I'll go out when I can stand to stick my arm up to the shoulder in the water rand straighten it back up. I'm going to use the winter to figure out some kind of mount I can put the camera on that makes it easy for me to move and difficult for my fish to knock over!
That WAS one considerations in buying the one did. i saw they had short body lens and they had longer lens bodies i wanted the longer so hoping the fish would not move it thing thing has to weight 5 pounds i doubt the fish can move it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thought the same thing... it's a heavy duty piece of equipment. I just don't have a great spot to get it wedged in tight enough that they can't bump it when they poke around. And the best time to go poking around? Right when Mom has just re-located the camera! Who knows what good stuff you might find?!

I had it all set for winter and then decided I had to go scoop those dang leaves and knocked it loose myself. Set it back in place but they bumped it again. I think it's good now, so let's hope they leave it be!

One of my challenges is that I have to be able to reach it from outside the pond - I find I have to wipe the lens off about once a week in the warmer weather. It gets a coating of slime on the lens. Now that the water is cold I'm not having that issue, so that's good. I don't plan to be sticking my arm in there during the winter. But anyway, that limits the number of choices I have for where it can sit. I think I'll try to wedge a paver stone in there next spring to give myself a flat platform to set it on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought the same thing... it's a heavy duty piece of equipment. I just don't have a great spot to get it wedged in tight enough that they can't bump it when they poke around. And the best time to go poking around? Right when Mom has just re-located the camera! Who knows what good stuff you might find?!

I had it all set for winter and then decided I had to go scoop those dang leaves and knocked it loose myself. Set it back in place but they bumped it again. I think it's good now, so let's hope they leave it be!

One of my challenges is that I have to be able to reach it from outside the pond - I find I have to wipe the lens off about once a week in the warmer weather. It gets a coating of slime on the lens. Now that the water is cold I'm not having that issue, so that's good. I don't plan to be sticking my arm in there during the winter. But anyway, that limits the number of choices I have for where it can sit. I think I'll try to wedge a paver stone in there next spring to give myself a flat platform to set it on.
LOOK AROUNG THE ROcks see if you can pull one and stuff the lens in if not can you make a new stone dog house for it.

i still have to finish hiding the cable probably todays job

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just pulled up my papers to bury the camera cable. I have been out of the game too long I didn't think to drop an electric wire to run power untill I was done

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

It's pretty easy to screw the mount I got with mine to a rock. You need a hammer drill preferably to drill a small hole into the rock or paver then use the shortest tap cons you can find ." Just ask the box store" preferably a hex head and a hex driver one screw is all you need and it's not going anywhere provided its sitting on a good spot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thats my plan. Just a flat surface that I can set in a bunch of places and have it stay in place.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure of the size of your cameras but I have mine anchored inside pvc pipe. I have raised ponds so with 3/4" pipe, I can hang mine over the edge and the koi can't move it. My cameras are snug inside the 2" pipe.
20231120_124639.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh that's GENIUS! That would work great I bet. And I have TONS of PVC pipe scrap that I can experiment with!

Here's my view right now- took my cue from @GBBUDD and took a picture of my TV! haha!

Just slightly off kilter... I was out there the other day trying to get a good location - AGAIN - and had it perfect and then thought "now I'm going to just put this rock RIGHT HERE to hold this in place and... caterwampus. That water was so cold I could barely feel my hand or arm. I can't believe I was IN that water just a couple of weeks ago!

Anyway, I don't mind. I can actually see clear to the other end of the pond and see the cave at the same time.

Does anyone else notice their fish holding their fins closer to their bodies in the cold water? Not clamped... just like BRRRR. I wonder if it helps them retain body heat? When the sun is shining they all like to just hang out over the top of the cave - it's a clay chimney liner so I bet it heats up in the sun. When it's really sunny they all move to the shallower water and just bask in the sunshine.

IMG_5783.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh that's GENIUS! That would work great I bet. And I have TONS of PVC pipe scrap that I can experiment with!

Here's my view right now- took my cue from @GBBUDD and took a picture of my TV! haha!

Just slightly off kilter... I was out there the other day trying to get a good location - AGAIN - and had it perfect and then thought "now I'm going to just put this rock RIGHT HERE to hold this in place and... caterwampus. That water was so cold I could barely feel my hand or arm. I can't believe I was IN that water just a couple of weeks ago!

Anyway, I don't mind. I can actually see clear to the other end of the pond and see the cave at the same time.

Does anyone else notice their fish holding their fins closer to their bodies in the cold water? Not clamped... just like BRRRR. I wonder if it helps them retain body heat? When the sun is shining they all like to just hang out over the top of the cave - it's a clay chimney liner so I bet it heats up in the sun. When it's really sunny they all move to the shallower water and just bask in the sunshine.

View attachment 161413
What a beautiful shot!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

View attachment 161413
Great photo! Can see all really clearly!

Ask a Question