sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
will the flexible pipe crush with weight .I don't understand bogs ,just wondering :question:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My favorite fix it is pl roofing goop, for me it works great. I even used it to plug a hole, (I made with my tractor) in the side of the 1000 gallon tank. Put some on the inside, some on the outside of the tank, filled it no leak............the hole is around a foot down so there is water pressure against the fixed hole. The fix has survived since last fall, hot cold, ice, freezing, dirt being dumped around the tank.

d8cdacfd-0203-4ec9-9a72-58091d07ec2-1.jpg

Reaction score
hey thanks, i'll go get some of that right now. As far as the flex hose caveing in, it's not gonna be under but about one block deep. It's all pretty tight, anyways. The other part that runs down into the bog isn't going to be under anything but loose rocks...for camoflauge.
I've never done anything like this, though. So I hope it all works out well. Looks wonderfull from my bedroom window...where I am resting and taking care of the healing leg :blueflower:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think your flex hose will be fine. Doesn't sound like you are resting, working on your bog...............lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
P42S, that flexible tubing looks like what I tried, and could NEVER get it to seal with the clamps. I finally used the sump pump flexible tubing, but again, had to only cut it at the areas where it was flat, not ribbed, to get a good seal. What I bought, every 6-8' or so, they have a flat area to cut and fit to 2 different sizes of connectors. The flexible part is swirling, so no way to get it to seal otherwise. Good luck to you! That goop is great stuff, though. I've used it to seal my waterfall weir, and it worked wonderfully! Addy is right. I would not worry about it crushing, it will be fine, although I used the sump pump stuff in my bog initially, and then replaced it with the solid PVC pipes under the pea gravel, as that stuff will last longer in the end. In fact, I think I'm going to bury PVC pipe to feed into my waterfall this summer. That will mean digging up the whole waterfall area, bury the line, and then connect it with the flexible stuff. My waterfall keeps freezing, and the only thing I can think is that the flexible stuff that is above ground, hidden under the edge of the liner, and rocks, is getting too cold when the temps go below about 25, and freezes, thus shutting down the pump. Anyhow, anything can be changed later if you have trouble, but I bet you get your slight leak fixed with that goop! Keep us posted. And, yes, rest your leg! Glad you have neighbor to help you out. Sounds like you will really enjoy the bog once you get your gravel put in there, too. If you can, pump water into the gravel and drain it out into your yard until the water is clearer. I used a connector that I could hook up in-line, and then to my hose, so I wasn't pumping all the pond water out. That way I was using fresh water, rinsing the pea gravel, soaking the lawn, and put the side of the bog back up to normal once the water was clear. Good luck! Post more pics when you get more done.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I would think your flex hose will be fine. Doesn't sound like you are resting, working on your bog...............lol
Like you said in an ealier post, "You sound alot like me"....I think you have me pegged, Addy :wink:...........lol

But, in my own defense, I am inside for the day....and resting with leg up on pillow.

Reaction score
Finally finished the bog, but already can think of things I would like to change. Does this ever really end, guys? Hope not, cuz that means it just keeps getting better.
So this is what I did:
1) I tied into the non- kink pond flex hose that pumped water from the skimmer to the falls, so I could run a extra piece of same hose to connect with pvc pipe to filter through the bog. I didn't use a tee, because I thought it would restrict the flow too much, and built a smoother curved tee using ABS pipe. I used PVC pipe for the bog filter. All pipe and the non-kink corrugated pond flex hose is 1 1/2 inch (not 1 inch like I previously thought my hose was)

2) I installed a ball valve, just before the pvc line heads down into the bog. I used a 4-way split, with one way going up, to create a place to attach a garden hose for wash-outs (if needed), but have it sealed with a threaded cap. Then used three pipes, with slits every 3 inches or so along the bottom, and capped them off at the end.

3) Then filled the bog with pea gravel and river rock...more pea gravel and river rock....and more again. Eventually covering the pvc pipe completely. There are areas where the pvc does not lay on the bottom of the bog, thus one of the things I will someday change and put flexable pvc instead.

4) Put a couple of plants (need more) and everything is flowing fine. I'm loving my pond and bog more, and more with each passing day. And, when I finally get the algae under control....my pond with all it's inhabitants...will love me, too.

me pond 053.jpg

Here's Missy, enjoying being out of the bathtub...and into the little pond.

me pond 056.jpgme pond 035.jpg

As soon as I can clearly see what's going on in the big pond, I'll move her over there, and take Dog Bone Ninja out of the bathroom and let him get in the little pond.

me pond 051.jpg

Reaction score
That sign reads ENDS HERE with a crossed over P in a circle...
I think the P must stand for Ponds, right? Sure can't Park a car out there. Maybe park a few butts... :smile:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, love the sign!!!
I wonder how you keep your slider in that little pond, won't she climb out of there? I have painted turtles that come to my pond from my farm pond, they are welcome to stay as long as they want in the spring/summer, as long as they don't do any damage to the liner. I fear that last spring, when I had the tear in my koi pond bog liner, it was from a turtle digging down for the winter. My point, though, is they are able to climb in and out of the pond easily. I don't make them stay, or make them leave. I figure it's all part of nature. Just wondering how you keep your babies where you want them. And, had to laugh .... "Dog Bone Ninja" ... there has to be a story behind that name, right?! :LOL:
Your pond is looking really great, love the bog. I was planting stuff in the pots last spring when I built the goldfish pond and large bog, then someone asked why I used pots for plants that were hardy. So, removed all the pots and bare root planted the hardy plants into the pea gravel. Now I only use pots when I want to contain the plant more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love your pond 42 and the bog looks great and sure is a cute little Missy turtle. Ha Ha as for the sign,I'd park my butt there anytime
fishing4luv.gif

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
Haha, love the sign!!!
I wonder how you keep your slider in that little pond, won't she climb out of there? I have painted turtles that come to my pond from my farm pond, they are welcome to stay as long as they want in the spring/summer, as long as they don't do any damage to the liner. I fear that last spring, when I had the tear in my koi pond bog liner, it was from a turtle digging down for the winter. My point, though, is they are able to climb in and out of the pond easily. I don't make them stay, or make them leave. I figure it's all part of nature. Just wondering how you keep your babies where you want them. And, had to laugh .... "Dog Bone Ninja" ... there has to be a story behind that name, right?! :LOL:
Your pond is looking really great, love the bog. I was planting stuff in the pots last spring when I built the goldfish pond and large bog, then someone asked why I used pots for plants that were hardy. So, removed all the pots and bare root planted the hardy plants into the pea gravel. Now I only use pots when I want to contain the plant more.
Funny, I've had the sign up long before the idea of having a pond set up....oops, I mean pondzzz. Then I saw it after transferring pics from camera to puter, and thought, "That sign might actually have some meaning to it, now" Ha, Ha!
As far as keeping my tertle captive goes...the only reason she isn't out running around, is becausde there isn't anything she can grab on to or push up from, to where she can get enough grip. She's let herself get a bit oversized, and at 20 years old, kinda lazy, too. She tried at first but she pretty much is just delighted to be outside in her own little pond...having a rock with a view. She's a simple kind of gal, for being a turtle.

Now, Dog Bone N. He's the total opposite kind...now that he's turned Ninja. He wasn't always that way, not when he was known as Mr. SwAuVe Turtle. But one day he decided to check out what was on the wrong side of the fence, and strayed away from the safety of his own spacious and peacefull side, and somehow squeezed his way between cement and a wooden gate. I'm sure it wasn't but a minute or two before he was discovered and became the 'Delight of the Day', entertaining my then 9 month old Ladradore, Kamio. To which she did an excellent job of keeping it her secret, because even though I knew he was missing...I couldn't find him anywhere, and she wasn't telling me anything.
I thought I had built the fence in a way where there would be NO meeting of the two. But, after hours of looking, I sadly decided a hawk or Owl had picked him up and flown away. The next day, I went outside and at the bottom of the steps (back on his side of the fence) was Mr. Turtle. Completely white, from the claws of a party animal gone wild, Kamio had dug into both the top and underside...as well as chewed parts of his shell off and sunk her teeth into other parts. He was in shock, but had found the way home and was alive.
It did not look good. So, I chose not to look at that, and proceeded with helping him heal. After 8 months of 4-8 times a day in benadine baths, dry docked with one 10 minute (daily) swim for the first couple months, then 20 minutes for the remaining 6 months...he was released from Turtle TLC Hospital. After having survived an attack like that, there was no doubt I had a true Ninja! Also, no doubt, of Kamio thinking she'd lost her Dog Bone. And, because Mr. SwAuVe lost part of his mind that terrible day, he just wasn't the same and became known as the Dog Bone (crazy) Ninja.
Returning, with TLC to his 24/7, indoor tank....he earned it. :ph34r:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, great story, glad I asked. My dogs do the same thing. I have no control of the turtles that wander to my ponds in the back yard, from farm pond in the pasture. I find them dead in the yard often. I don't want to keep them in, nor keep them out either. I guess I could lock up the dogs when I was not around, but they are farm dogs, and I hope that they also keep any heron away that are thinking of stopping by for a meal. I know there are dozens of painted turtles in the farm pond, as well as snappers. I've seen a huge snapper cross the road, go into the ditch on the other side to lay her eggs. We (the neighbor that lives right across the road from the far end of my farm pond) have seen the tiny babies emerge from the ditch. Somehow they know to go back to my farm pond. I do NOT like snappers, though. Couple of years ago I had 2 teeny tiny babies show up in my skimmer. And I mean TINY! They were maybe 1" long. I brought the 2nd one inside, going to ship it to Larkin the next day, and the cat had turned the bucket over, no turtle in sight. Looked everywhere. Found him a month later in the sump pump hole in the basement. Pretty sure the cat carried it downstairs, and it found the way to the water. Shipped him to Larkin at that time, but he since transferred ownership to another turtle lover in LA. He named him "Houdini", which sure was fitting. I let all the painted turtles stay, but any snappers that show up get relocated back to the farm pond. So far only the babies have come to visit, at least as far as I know.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Both of you CE and 42 have neat turtle stories. I remember CE when yours was lost and then you found him after all that time. No turtles ever come to visit here. Think there is a shortage of them here. They used to be in some of the creeks/ponds around here and prolly lakes too. I have seen some in a town several miles south of here resting on logs in a river. I think they are trying to boost the population up again by breeding them in a sanctuary and then releasing them back to the wild. I think they might have been called Western Pond turtles but I may be wrong on that. Whenever we go south to Florida or LA I have to stop the car and rescue any that can't make it up the curbs to get off the roads down there.

Reaction score
There is definately no shortage of turtles around here. Sadly, people think they are cute at first...but after learning the their keep is not so simple or cheap...or not learning at all, they either die,get very sick or set free in the river. Which does not stay a river, as it channels off to the agricultural farmland. Then there are the Turtle rescues, where it remains overcrowded. One time, an accident occured on our freeway that involved a truck carrying 100's of Red Eared Sliders. The highway patrol and a few others caught as many as could be...aired it on the news and they all got adopted out. But the sad part is the truck of Sliders was on it's way to China Town for the making of soup. California is not native to any fresh water turtles, only land tortoise and sea turtles.
All of my turtles have had life threatening incidents, but survived. They are really quite amazing...they have been around for the longest of time.
I'll post a pic of DB Ninja, showing his battle scars, but in the meantime here he is enjoying last August by the pond.
pond pics 004.jpg

Ask a Question