Best adhesive.......

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
When spring really gets here I will be taking on a project to cover bare patches of liner with multi sizes pebbles, really great and realistic rubber mulch and other stuff. Since these coverings are to be permanent and beginning at the water liner I want to use a very heavy duty adhesive. I'm thinking something thick with strong holding power. Preferably black, brown or clear. I fear spray adhesives will not be adequate since I want the decorative material to mound in some areas. Please note The faux areas will terminate where the liner goes down into the soil. Plants will most like border and hang over the new 3D liner fauxscape. I'm confident the result will look great.

Please suggest aggressive adhesives please. Here are photos of the areas to be covered in the fauxscape. By the way, in one of the photos gray foam has turned brown. Didn't want you to this it was monster poo. :)

024.JPG

023.JPG

010.JPG

015.JPG

013.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lou, this sounds like it's going to be nice! Be sure to take plenty of before, during, & after photos.

In my limited experience, the roof & flashing goop has worked well on every project I've used it on in & around the pond. I can't speak to how it holds up long-term, but if I was going to somthing like what you propose, I would try that. Hopefully others have suggestions, as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use spray foam at first it may look ugly but will get covered in muck fast and cheap here at 3.22 a can or you can get the black spray foam they use for pond .I have seen a lot of them use it to adhere small stones .Some bigger river rock will stay in place .I know they sell a waterproof adhesive but can't remember the name .But you can try the pl stuff to see if it will hold rocks but the surfaces may need to be totally dry to adhere right .I know I tried it and it did not work for long .I ended up getting bigger rocks .I even tried silicone and it held longer but still gave way after awhile .The rubber liner being smooth does not let things stick to it good .I have watched ponddigger do it with that black spray foam and wondered just how long rocks and gravel stayed in place .That foam is not cheap .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have been searching for such an adhesive for close to 15 years. Trust me, no one makes one. Those that are available either do not hold up very long or look terrible or both. The problem is that any adhesive that will bind to EPDM liner in order to be effective must, at least, partially compromise the integrity of the chemical composition of the EPDM. This, or course, can lead to major problems. Several excellent rock and masonry adhesives are on the market, but they do not adhere well to EPDM, PVC or ABS and they have a very high failure rate in submerged conditions or constantly wet conditions.
I realize that this is no help at all and certainly not the answer you are seeking.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Ask a Question