addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog and plants keep our pond clear and healthy.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
What is a good size UV light and pump for my size Pond?
my pond is L shaped, 6 feet deep and around 8,000 gallons total.

How often will I need to replace UV bulbs?

Thank you,

Shane

Reaction score
Each manufacturer rates each product and defines how often bulbs need to be replaced. I like Aqua Ultraviolet mainly because they provide actual information. Many of the mass market makers don't say much.

Because it's difficult to tell how much UV a bulb is putting out, it goes down over time, a standard rule of thumb is to replace the bulb once a year. But there is a simple test, if the pond turns green and the bulb is more than 1 year old it's probably time.

Keep in mine that once clear for a few weeks many ponds will remain clear if the UV is turned off. So worth a test. Turn off and if green starts to come back turn it back on. Otherwise you're golden.

Reaction score
Yea, aqua uv does make excellent stuff! I had a 80w aqua uv on my saltwater aquarium for many many years.... Setup a new tank and it wouldn't fit where I needed it so threw it on my pond for a while.

Presently my ponds use advantage plug n play systems, their 6k and 15k setup. Advantage/sacrimento koi uses emperor aquatic uv's their HO units. For a 8k gallon pond I would give a HO UV a consideration be it from aqua uv, emperor miata le or one of a few other top quality brands. Might cost more up front however you do not need as powerful of a UV and bulbs can be cheaper and last longer.

Also like stated a uv does not need to be on all the time so you could possibly get a bulb to last years. Uv light might only need to be on for a hour or a few hours a day and is not needed when the weather is cold.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm afraid my water is going through the filter and media too quickly and down the waterfall.
Should I put a ball valve on the big pump and try to slow it down so the water has a chance to get filtered?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a small pond around 450-500 gallons and it's much harder to keep clean lol, I just use a larger than recommended filter with a 13w UV light and a couple of small lilies and hyacinths. When I clean my filters twice a month, I set my Filter to backflush that runs over my fence into the woods and turn on a water hose with full power with nozzle and hold it near the bottom of the pond to stir things up and at the same time adding a 30% water change, this has worked for me so far :)

Ask a Question