Best Mechanical Filter Media

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
ZmanArt007 said:
Sorry, I know this is an old topic, but I need more advice on DIY mechanical filter media... I have a design for a three part system, but I am not sure what three medias to use... I was thinking pillow stuffing for the last containment unit, but not sure what to use for the first two... Obviously something not as fine as the pillow stuffing. If anyone knows anything I could use that this thinner and finer than pillow stuffing, the stuffing could be in the 2nd container.
Thanks,
Zman

I use some 2" thick matting that I got from my local pond store$$$$. It has enough density to trap large debris and also harbors some good bacteria in the cells.

Reaction score
In my opinion it's hard to beat Matala, I use (3) 6" x 21" rounds in my barrel filter, green, blue and grey (which is the finest).

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oh yes, you can cut them to what ever shape you need, I use a utility razor knife to cut mine, It can be cut with scissors but the scissors might not be much good when your done.:D Pretty tuff stuff!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
J- matting is short for Japanese matting. It's VERY similar in design to Matala, Just made from a slightly different material. Usually a little less expensive but comes in sheets and rolls like Matala, J-matting doesn't not have as many options as far as how fine they can filter. I've only see two grades, white/light grey and black, med. and course filtering, matala goes on to finer screening. matala can be unrolled if it is in a bundle roll. Not sure what your looking at, if you want to send me a link by PM I will look and tell you if what your looking at can or can not be.

Ask a Question