Best method for growing water lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
I've tried various methods for growing water lilies in pots using clay soil, topsoil, or kitty litter, which I've heard recommended, but was never too impressed with any of those. The soil goes anaerobic, and makes a nasty smelling mess I'd rather not add to the pond. I've heard, but haven't tried yet, that sand or fine gravel works good.

I've tried fertilizer sticks that were supposed to be slow release, and I suppose that is the way to go, but I was thinking of poking a couple of holes in the soil of the pot and filling them with Miracle Grow and then covering with soil. Using a media like sand or gravel may be a little less likely to go anaerobic, but being so much more porous I would be concerned with the fertilizer leaching out and causing an algae bloom. I've tried no fertilizer at all, but had pretty sad looking plants.

I'd like to hear some feedback on what you have tried for growing water lilies, and the pros and cons of each.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use kitty litter, yes it does smell when you divide the plants. I put osmocote in the bottom of the pots, around 1/4 cup. Usually that is all they get and they bloom great all summer. Occasionally, I would stick a fertilizer tab into the pot, not very often. Last year not at all, they bloomed a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sounds like you don't have to worry about overcrowded pots, Riftlake, if your plants did not do very well. My plants last year did not bloom nearly as well as the previous 3 years. Wondering if I need to refresh my stock. However, I have not heard that Addy has refreshed hers, and her plants are older than mine, so thinking it was a matter of fertilizer in mine. I have not separated and divided yet this year. The lilies don't seem to be overcrowded this year, so thinking I will leave them. Yes, the pots in the spring sometimes are stinky, but I put fresh kitty litter in there. Be sure you are not using clumping type of litter! I did that once, and man was that a mess, very slimy stuff. LOL Also, you can use any type of slow release granular fertilizer, but get it with the highest number first (i.e. 28-4-6), as that is better for blooms. Then, take a piece of paper towel, put the fertilizer in that, wind it up and put your little "plug" down into the clay, and cover it with clay. The paper towel will eventually decompose and voila, you have your own hand made spike! Someone on here suggested that.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lilies are the original ones from the first year I had the pond. I do divide them around every other year, ow they get way overgrown. Do stick in some granular fertilizer like CE is saying, if I am not dividing them. I have used the paper towel method for years. Every now and then I have picked up a new color.

Last year I did divide them, cut them way back, then ignored them for the summer, honey's health issues took over, summer just poofed away. They bloomed great.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just used the dirt/clay that came from the pond hole. It was free and I had a bunch of it. Probably would've rather used pea gravel but with everything else I was buying last year for my pond, I had to cut corners to make this project happen. I've only had it for one season so I haven't seen any cons yet. Pros are that it was free and pushing Pondtabbs in was really easy.

Ask a Question