blanket weed

GLC

Reaction score
what is the best way 2 get rid off all the green crap on the sides and bottom of pond ? , do the pond hoovers work if so what is the best 1 2 buy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you are speaking of algae that grows on the sides and bottom it is usually considered the good kind and is left alone as the fish like to nibble on it and it makes the liner hide better. Sounds like you have another kind if it is flowing out like reaching arms all over the place. If that is the case then you can use a clean toilet type brush to reach in and grab out the stuff. I use barley straw and 100% clay kitty litter to keep it at bay in my pond. I would never scrub all the algae off the sides tho to get rid of it all. Now if you want to remove free floating gunk from the bottom of your pond then I would just use a net like a swim pool type w/ a long handle or you can buy a vacuum but they are pricey. You can use a shop vac but it will take you longer unless you have a small pond.

GLC

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply it may b good but it looks horrible lol, the sides and bottom of my pond are green my pond is 6ft deep and 6foot round solid plastic water is crystal clear so the green sides makes it look a mess, i dont mind paying for a decent hoover if its going get it all off but with my pond being round ino flat hoovers arnt going 2 be very good at getting all stuff off

Reaction score
Macro algae release allelochemicals which kills the single cell algae. The single algae also release allelochemicals to kill bacteria and macro algae. So it is possible removing string algae could bring back green water, but there are also bacteria producing chemicals to kill single cell algae so you can have a pond with small amounts of macro algae and clear water.

I don't know what a pond hoover is so I have no opinion.

GLC

Reaction score
my water is always crystal clear and iv got a large double uv light wht also helps keep water cleaner
pond hoovers collect bits of crap off the pond i had a cheap 20 pound 1 until it broke but wasnt verry powerfull but it did pick the green stuff up i just thinking bout getting a bigger more expensive hoover the bigger the better :D hope fully picks up better

Ask a Question