Buddy, the turtle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
jus' gotta take them small victories, Dime; they'll add up! Pretty soon, Super Boss might even get you a room IN the castle instead of makin' ya sleep under that tent...! :p:cool:

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas.gif

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have seen his set up and his turtles they were amazing the simple yet very effective filtering system he has set up for his turtles. They looked incredibly healthy as the condition of the raised pond he had. I had never seen the Tarpins before they were impressive
Thanks for the compliments @GBBUDD, @brokensword will hunt through the pics and see what I have. Can take pics of the ornate terrapin that I brought inside for the winter. Also bought a yearling North American Wood turtle at the end of September, it is inside at the moment for the winter but next year going to put it in the main pond compound and leave it there year round, can hang out with the DBT’s and box turtle that is in there too. Need to tighten up the fence though as these turtles have a reputation for being unbelievably intelligent and top notch escape artists.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Thanks for the compliments @GBBUDD, @brokensword will hunt through the pics and see what I have. Can take pics of the ornate terrapin that I brought inside for the winter. Also bought a yearling North American Wood turtle at the end of September, it is inside at the moment for the winter but next year going to put it in the main pond compound and leave it there year round, can hang out with the DBT’s and box turtle that is in there too. Need to tighten up the fence though as these turtles have a reputation for being unbelievably intelligent and top notch escape artists.
Is North American Wood turtle a tortoise or a palustris turtle? pics on net look like a tortoise? Is pretty nice, i really like the orange of the front legs...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Is North American Wood turtle a tortoise or a palustris turtle? pics on net look like a tortoise? Is pretty nice, i really like the orange of the front legs...
Its not a tortoise, but its habitat is swampy and marshy areas near streams, and readily found in water. Not a true semi-aquatic turtle like sliders, painted turtles, terrapins etc., as an adult it is found on land near water sources rather than in the water all the time. Palustris…….that is too big a word for my brain…..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Its not a tortoise, but its habitat is swampy and marshy areas near streams, and readily found in water. Not a true semi-aquatic turtle like sliders, painted turtles, terrapins etc., as an adult it is found on land near water sources rather than in the water all the time. Palustris…….that is too big a word for my brain…..
@Jhn ; I see Dime got to you first, but I'm looking forward to the pics, and esp the newbie woodsy! I didn't think they'd be a good match for a 'deep pond'; am I in error? I THOUGHT about getting a spotted turtle but nixed the idea for the same reason--they like shallows and swamps, and I don't have nearly enough real estate to create enough for such a breed. I'll be following your progress with woodsy and see if I might join in on the fun in the future!

Gots ta keep up with the Italian Squire there, (Dime); he's got a head for all the Latin names; makes me constantly google but I'm learning! In a younger day, I was well aware of most of the Latin names for my tropical fish, now? Not so much; when you don't use them in conversation, they tend to leak on back out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn ; I see Dime got to you first, but I'm looking forward to the pics, and esp the newbie woodsy! I didn't think they'd be a good match for a 'deep pond'; am I in error? I THOUGHT about getting a spotted turtle but nixed the idea for the same reason--they like shallows and swamps, and I don't have nearly enough real estate to create enough for such a breed. I'll be following your progress with woodsy and see if I might join in on the fun in the future!

Gots ta keep up with the Italian Squire there, (Dime); he's got a head for all the Latin names; makes me constantly google but I'm learning! In a younger day, I was well aware of most of the Latin names for my tropical fish, now? Not so much; when you don't use them in conversation, they tend to leak on back out!

View attachment 145440
Idk, when young they are aquatic, so I figure it can handle the deep water, there are plenty of places for it to rest if need be….the box turtle does, it goes right in
at feeding time to battle the koi and “fat bastard“ for food in deep water. That is what I did for that word had to fire up the old google machine…

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy

View attachment 145440
ROFL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Thanks, ill try check later a bit on the net :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, ill try check later a bit on the net :)
You've seen pics of his DBTs, right? ANNNNNDDDDD, you got GPS, right? So, tidy up the firepit, pack up that tent, get on that horse, and head WEST; mind that bit of water between ya, but Maryland ain't that far away, Dime! Get some good pics of Woody and the gang and ifn ya smuggle out one o dem DBTs, and drop it off in MICHIGAN, capiche?
Italian smiley Dime-sml.jpg
ifn ya like, get one back to Turin, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
You've seen pics of his DBTs, right? ANNNNNDDDDD, you got GPS, right? So, tidy up the firepit, pack up that tent, get on that horse, and head WEST; mind that bit of water between ya, but Maryland ain't that far away, Dime! Get some good pics of Woody and the gang and ifn ya smuggle out one o dem DBTs, and drop it off in MICHIGAN, capiche? View attachment 145481 ifn ya like, get one back to Turin, too!

View attachment 145482
brb building up a ship! gimme a sec

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Idk, when young they are aquatic, so I figure it can handle the deep water, there are plenty of places for it to rest if need be….the box turtle does, it goes right in
at feeding time to battle the koi and “fat bastard“ for food in deep water. That is what I did for that word had to fire up the old google machine…
Just found this on net: " They can and do drown, so be sure to keep the water area shallow (between 2 and 3”) and add plenty of objects to the water for them to grasp onto (fake/live plants, wood pieces, cork bark, river stones)."
source: https://www.tortoisetown.com/north-american-wood-turtle-care-sheet/

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just found this on net: " They can and do drown, so be sure to keep the water area shallow (between 2 and 3”) and add plenty of objects to the water for them to grasp onto (fake/live plants, wood pieces, cork bark, river stones)."
source: https://www.tortoisetown.com/north-american-wood-turtle-care-sheet/
That is referring to the hatchling wood turtles, not the adults.…. can’t say for sure about the adults but since they inhabited streams and rivers, i would think they can handle swimming around in my pond.….this being said going to have to get to working on making sure the fence perimeter is secure to keep woody from getting out next year.

Ask a Question