sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine took about 2 to 3 weeks it depends on sun and warmth how fast they respond .Some that are not yellow and not that unhealthy took a week .

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Swamp hibiscus or Mexican petunia do well too. Mexican petunia cam be found at most garden centers.

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just got 20 (22 actually) Water Hyacinths on eBay for $30. They seem to have arrived just fine. Do a search there, you can find them for something like $1 each if you buy enough. Makes the $3-4 at the garden center look like highway robbery.
Your logic makes sense but I always think "why pay $30 for 20 when I can pay $3-6 for 1 or 2 and let them multiply". You do benefit from the time savings but you're paying for it. Similar to all-you-can-eat restaurants, why pay more for unlimited if you won't eat that much?

Anyhow, glad you found a good place to buy them online.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your logic makes sense but I always think "why pay $30 for 20 when I can pay $3-6 for 1 or 2 and let them multiply". You do benefit from the time savings but you're paying for it. Similar to all-you-can-eat restaurants, why pay more for unlimited if you won't eat that much?

If you only need one or two or 5, great. I will see this year how they multiply. Last year I about about 5 in July (?) and in my shaded container tub had about 10 in the fall. This year I'll be filling a 3000 gallon pond in July or August and I'll want immediate shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is water lettuce Sissy? Same as water "cabbage?"
According to Google, yes it is the same.

For me, there's the stuff I can get at big box stores - Creeping Jenny, Sweet Flag, and then everything else is online, so, back to the original question, what's a good online store?

Lilyblooms seems good. And Tricklers has a lot and good prices, but it annoys me that they have so little information, not even basic cold hardiness. I have to go look up the plant in a book to see if it's right for me.

Any others I should look at?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

If I only get 1 or 2, the fish will damage it enough that it won't multiply enough. If I get ten, then the damage is spread out enough...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got my black liriope in lowes I saw yesterday they had it in NC when i was there

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If I only get 1 or 2, the fish will damage it enough that it won't multiply enough. If I get ten, then the damage is spread out enough...
Very true. I have small preformed pond with a couple goldfish so forgot koi will destroy them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why I put a couple of plants aside to be put in the miracle grow tub .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Finding any water plants locally here is frustraiting. There is a small pet store about 45 minutes away that caters to the indoor pets more than outdoor ones, and on occasion, stocks small water hyacinth ($4 - $8 each) and water lily seeds. No nursery's local and only the big box stores about an hour away. They tend to carry everything but water plants. I've relied on purchasing water plants online. I try to find same State sellers to keep the "We can't ship this plant to your State" dilemma to a minimum. Using ebay's ability to see where the seller is helps with that.

I've had success with ones I've gotten from this site: http://www.aaapondsupply.com. Purchased a couple of hearty lily's a few weeks ago and one has already popped up a couple of flowers. My lily's from last year haven't gotten that far yet. Flat 2 day shipping for all plants ordered helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Finding any water plants locally here is frustraiting. There is a small pet store about 45 minutes away that caters to the indoor pets more than outdoor ones, and on occasion, stocks small water hyacinth ($4 - $8 each) and water lily seeds. No nursery's local and only the big box stores about an hour away. They tend to carry everything but water plants. I've relied on purchasing water plants online. I try to find same State sellers to keep the "We can't ship this plant to your State" dilemma to a minimum. Using ebay's ability to see where the seller is helps with that.

I've had success with ones I've gotten from this site: http://www.aaapondsupply.com. Purchased a couple of hearty lily's a few weeks ago and one has already popped up a couple of flowers. My lily's from last year haven't gotten that far yet. Flat 2 day shipping for all plants ordered helps.
Excellent! Thanks! The regs into CA can be rough. This place does good for you? i will check it out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always try to find places close to my home for shipping anything .Like webbs I get it in 2 days and pet solutions I get in 3 days .

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
According to Google, yes it is the same.

For me, there's the stuff I can get at big box stores - Creeping Jenny, Sweet Flag, and then everything else is online, so, back to the original question, what's a good online store?

Lilyblooms seems good. And Tricklers has a lot and good prices, but it annoys me that they have so little information, not even basic cold hardiness. I have to go look up the plant in a book to see if it's right for me.

Any others I should look at?
Last year I bought 20 water lettuce plants and ended up throwing away a few tractor bucket loads. It completely covered both of my ponds.

Ask a Question