Buying pond plants online?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get plants from William Trickers online (they are close enough for me to drive there but not easy for me to get to so I only went there once) I have never been unhappy with the plants I bought from them. http://www.tricker.com/

Have them send you a catalog it's much easier to look at all the different plants they have (they also sell fish and supplies as well)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I live in VA 15 minutes from the NC border and go to NC often .I was in Mayodan and Madison and Reidsville and Eden NC the other day

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Sissy, thanks so much for your help. Do you rinse your water lettuce like mad before putting them into the pond since they had some Miracle Grow on them?

I found some water lettuce plants from an Ebay seller. They look good in the photos, but we shall see.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just dip them in a little water and put them back in .Not really worried about it when they go back in ,I only worry that something may have gotten into the miracle grow tub that i don't want in my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks, sissy. I have rinsed them very well twice, so they should be OK. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I ended up ordering from Lilyblooms. They has Asclepias, mosaic plants, pickerelweed and snails, so it was more about who had everything I wanted. I'll let you know the quality when the flora and fauna arrives.

Our local nursery charges $12.95 for all of their marginal. I guess when you're only one within 30 minutes you can set your own price...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep same here no place to buy and most in my little ponders club here share our plants with each other .Makes for a fun time and we get to talk ponds and show pics of our ponds and share success stories and fail stories

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A pond club you say? Hmm.

I guess we have a small one - me and my neighbor. :happy: I think the frogs move back and forth between our ponds as I don't see any for a long time, then they're always there, then gone...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started it after my local garden center made a suggestion to me about having something there and is a win for them because the day of the meeting they will give you 15% off anything you buy and they are trying to expand there water garden plants area and pond area so they can get more business since they are off the highway .I started with 5 people and now have 17 .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I ended up ordering from Lilyblooms. They has Asclepias, mosaic plants, pickerelweed and snails, so it was more about who had everything I wanted. I'll let you know the quality when the flora and fauna arrives.

Our local nursery charges $12.95 for all of their marginal. I guess when you're only one within 30 minutes you can set your own price...
Let me know what happens wth the order. Im out in CA so its a stretch. Still worry about shipping times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
PLANTSPIC.jpg damaged box.jpgPONDPLANT.JPG

I think the water lettuce I bought looks pretty good, despite the box apparently being used as a soccer by the post office.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Finding any water plants locally here is frustraiting. There is a small pet store about 45 minutes away that caters to the indoor pets more than outdoor ones, and on occasion, stocks small water hyacinth ($4 - $8 each) and water lily seeds. No nursery's local and only the big box stores about an hour away. They tend to carry everything but water plants. I've relied on purchasing water plants online. I try to find same State sellers to keep the "We can't ship this plant to your State" dilemma to a minimum. Using ebay's ability to see where the seller is helps with that.

I've had success with ones I've gotten from this site: http://www.aaapondsupply.com. Purchased a couple of hearty lily's a few weeks ago and one has already popped up a couple of flowers. My lily's from last year haven't gotten that far yet. Flat 2 day shipping for all plants ordered helps.

@Sarcasticshrub , thanks for sharing the site, their prices seem good and they have all I wanted.
However, how long it took them to ship the order? On their site, they promise shipping 'usually within 24 hours', I ordered one week ago, expected a 'shipped' email yesterday or today, but nothing so I called and they said it takes 2 weeks to ship.
How fast was your order shipped?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since they had what I was looking for in stock, it took a couple of days. From what I understand, they ship when the climate in your area is sufficient to sustain plants (they don't ship tropicals in winter) and shipping is done to ensure the shipment does not sit over the weekend waiting to be delivered. Maybe contact them to see why 2 weeks? What is in the order that is causing the delay? I've only ordered plants from them and had them by Friday of the week I ordered or Wednesday the following week. YMMV

Ask a Question