Came home to a green pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
View attachment 96973 I would suggest that you guys read the above post before you make judgment on me.....lol .....Last Saturday Sarah and I went to a fish farm about 30 miles from us, that sells game fish for ponds and lakes, but we had heard they also sold Koi..,.they told us that they wouldn't have the Koi out of their ponds until March....as we were walking away the guy said but I have two Koi that didn't make it back to the pond last fall, there were two Koi in a 4' x 6' tank maybe with some Channel catfish ..... They had been there since last October.....I asked the guy how much he wants for them, he said $20.00 for both.....before I could say anything Sarah said SOLD!!!! I would like to introduce you to Donald (bright Orange with a few black spots)....and Hillary ( white with a bright yellow head).... Sarah and I consider these rescue fish....they will be our anchor fish...they are here to stay.....they are doing great....the water is clear again, due to me turning on my UV light.....but every sprig of string algae for some reason has disappeared.....lol.....and yes I have my API Master kit and keeping a close tab on the water quality..... I was wondering how I was going to cycle my new pond....guess I found it
Also Donald is at least 8 lbs and Hillary 5 or 6

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As soon as you get to the point of feeding you need to get them used to being hand fed so you can enjoy them more .I got mine from a koi farm in NC and they were tiny but they only cost a dollar .But I sure wish at the time some one had told me they got really big .At least you are gong into it knowing .I wouldn't name the one hillary not a great name for the poor innocent fish .Ban you look at the bodies to see if they are boys or girls.The back one in your pic looks like a girl for sure .Fat body girl long and sleek boy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As soon as you get to the point of feeding you need to get them used to being hand fed so you can enjoy them more .I got mine from a koi farm in NC and they were tiny but they only cost a dollar .But I sure wish at the time some one had told me they got really big .At least you are gong into it knowing .I wouldn't name the one hillary not a great name for the poor innocent fish .Ban you look at the bodies to see if they are boys or girls.The back one in your pic looks like a girl for sure .Fat body girl long and sleek boy
Since I am not a huge fan of either President Trump or Hillary I guess I will be an equal opportunity offender...... Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_5826.JPG
IMG_5827.JPG
IMG_5828.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well finished the cap stones today.....all I lack is hiding the skimmer.....been working on this darn thing since July.....I would have loved to have good flat ground to build a pond on.....but being it was on a hillside and I didn't want to tear my fence down....I went with this idea....Donald and Hillary are doing great....terribly shy though....considering where they came from I can understand that.... Water is clear.....63 degrees.....been above 60 ....for over a week....and before you say it.....this is Tennessee I know it could be zero here next week....so I have not even bought any food yet....I don't even have any Cheerios.... Lol.....anyway as much as the string algae has disappeared from everywhere except right at the waterfall they are eating something .... I think love might be in the air .... Donald follows Hillary's every move about half way down her....constantly....high yesterday 72 ....today 68...ready for spring ....even though it's going to be awhile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even though it looks desolate this time of the year....this is what my backyard looked like before I started on the pond....and with Sarah's eye for putting plants in.....its going to be OK

Ask a Question