Came home to a green pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well finished the cap stones today.....all I lack is hiding the skimmer.....been working on this darn thing since July.....I would have loved to have good flat ground to build a pond on.....but being it was on a hillside and I didn't want to tear my fence down....I went with this idea....Donald and Hillary are doing great....terribly shy though....considering where they came from I can understand that.... Water is clear.....63 degrees.....been above 60 ....for over a week....and before you say it.....this is Tennessee I know it could be zero here next week....so I have not even bought any food yet....I don't even have any Cheerios.... Lol.....anyway as much as the string algae has disappeared from everywhere except right at the waterfall they are eating something .... I think love might be in the air .... Donald follows Hillary's every move about half way down her....constantly....high yesterday 72 ....today 68...ready for spring ....even though it's going to be awhile
On a footnote.....after doing a little research on Koi spawning behavior.....Nah they are not in love .... They just like each other ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_5860.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would like to start with thanks for all your comments and help with me being a new guy with ponding....as you can see Donald and Hillary are pretty big when you compare them to my Savio main drain....my question is that Hillary is flashing.....against my bottom drain....not a lot compared to what I have read but when I watch maybe 3 or 4 times in a 30 minute period.....I got a good look at her this afternoon and she has four white spots up close to her dorsal fin, she has none on her sides.....that due to her keeping them scraped off on the drain.... I have done alot of research and I think this is Itch....just my opinion.... But I need you guys opinion and about remedys and treatment.....but not sure what to do....Donald is fine no spots and no flashing....at this point in time I have no way to segregate her....and treat her alone...your thoughts would be appreciated....Jimmy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would like to start with thanks for all your comments and help with me being a new guy with ponding....as you can see Donald and Hillary are pretty big when you compare them to my Savio main drain....my question is that Hillary is flashing.....against my bottom drain....not a lot compared to what I have read but when I watch maybe 3 or 4 times in a 30 minute period.....I got a good look at her this afternoon and she has four white spots up close to her dorsal fin, she has none on her sides.....that due to her keeping them scraped off on the drain.... I have done alot of research about remedys and treatment.....but not sure what to do....Donald is fine no spots....at this point in time I have no way to segregate her....and treat her alone...your thoughts would be appreciated....Jimmy
Also I have to say neither one seems to be in any kind of distress....I can see that there is no string algae except at the base of my waterfall.....and I can see tracks on the liner where they have been eating algae....so they are eating what is available....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also I have to say neither one seems to be in any kind of distress....I can see that there is no string algae except at the base of my waterfall.....and I can see tracks on the liner where they have been eating algae....so they are eating what is available....
Also I am amazed at these fish.... They take off when I approach the pond...and swim upright...but if I stay still they will swim by me but will always tilt on their side to look at me...

Ask a Question