Ok I need a camera

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hi all, late logging in this year. Fish were great in the garage ponds over winter and in the pond so far this year until...Some bird or animal is attacking the fish again. 3 attacks in a week with some wounds on the big koi but none missing. They all hiding at the bottom after each attack.

So I have talked about cameras but never bought. I want to see what the heck is doing this. Last few years I did she herons in the fruit trees at times but none stalking the pond, maybe the sprinklers keeping them off. Some hawks flying close by as well. I have 2 scarecrow sprinklers that are doing a good job for 3 years now but not anymore. I see no evidence of fish deaths or bird poop.

Cameras have advanced so much past few years and thousands of types. I think I want something inside the house to point to the pond, also to be monitored away from home.

Thanks
Wayne

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my cameras I got off ebay with night vision .,I did last year by another camera for a wider angle .But my 4 cameras cost 89 dollars and saw they have even gone down in price .I can sign in and watch them from any place .Not bad cameras for the price .I have them set up on a monitor in my kitchen that is on a tv mount so I can see it from the kitchen and great room

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks I remember yours from past years, but I want to access them over the Iphone or Internet away from home.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 5 ARLO cameras. I have had them for about a year or so now. Did a lot of research. For me these were the best fit hands down. Not the cheapest but man these cameras are great. Take a look on youtube at the reviews.

Love them!!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I did see reviews and they can't take our Canada winters, freeze up at -15 C. Any monthly costs? Night vison ok? Might install inside anyway but entire pond is 50' away and might not get all in.
Thanks

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I hear hawks again today, but the fish are so scared they not even in view for 2 days now so that's good. I had my iphone on video all night and no herons at dust or dawn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had no problems with the temps at around 10 below 0 but can't say if it gets any lower then that. Night vision is amazing, especially with the 1080P units which are the newer ones. Motion detection is amazing. No monthly service fee for what I have which is the basic package. More then enough.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 5 ARLO cameras. I have had them for about a year or so now. Did a lot of research. For me these were the best fit hands down. Not the cheapest but man these cameras are great. Take a look on youtube at the reviews.

Love them!!
How long do the batteries last? Honey wants a back up to our system.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My front door one which goes off 20 times a day goes a few months. The one by my pond lasts for 4 months or more.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My front door one which goes off 20 times a day goes a few months. The one by my pond lasts for 4 months or more.
Thanks, my cams go off constantly, blowing grasses, birds flying, etc etc. Not sure how well one of them would do here. Mine are all plugged in, hard wired.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've had an inexpensive D-Link wireless camera running outside on the covered deck for the last couple of years.
It's rated for indoor use only but I wanted to see what has happened, and it's been fine.
D-Link has an easy to use iphone app and I have it also linked to mac recording software on an imac.
I wondered if the indoor rating is because of condensation issues, but like I said, it's been fine.
Maybe D-link has something rated for outdoor use if yours won't be protected from the elements. I think I got mine from Costco.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Cameras are great for seeing what is going on but obviously won't stop an attack.
Why don't you use netting to protect your fish? The cheap poly netting is almost invisible until you get up close.
Some members hang nets above their ponds to deter birds. Of course a net hung high won't stop land predators.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cameras are great for seeing what is going on but obviously won't stop an attack.
Why don't you use netting to protect your fish? The cheap poly netting is almost invisible until you get up close.
Some members hang nets above their ponds to deter birds. Of course a net hung high won't stop land predators.
You're saying have the net sitting in the water? I have seen enough videos of herons just walking across the nets and striking fish. I would put it up higher, it's ugly but I'll have to get used to it. My pond is 35'x21' also and is not net friendly.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada

Ask a Question