Camera ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
These days they generally use SD cards or micro SD Cards. If the sensitivity is set it should only record when something is moving. While Wi-Fi cameras aren’t even as close to being as good as wired ones, it’s amazing how much battery life modern surveillance cameras can get. The ones with big lithium batteries can go for weeks or even months Without a change.

for those looking for night time cameras, something to keep in mind the “sensor” size is EVeRYtHING, not how many megapixels is it. I’m not an expert but it’s a topic I enjoy.:)

https://exodusoutdoorgear.com/blogs/news/trail-camera-megapixels

trail cameras work but a surveillance system like addy mentioned Will probably have options with bigger sensors

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@netvine Trail camera's are cheaper tho then the big setup surveillance one's and if you just want to see what is passing by your property for fun then I guess checking out the trail cams w/the bigger sensors is the way to go. Do they even advertise how big the sensors are in them? I hadn't noticed when looking on Amazon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Usually you can dial in the “sensitivity” otherwise wind blowing trees etc would set it off.

@netvine Trail camera's are cheaper tho then the big setup surveillance one's and if you just want to see what is passing by your property for fun then I guess checking out the trail cams w/the bigger sensors is the way to go. Do they even advertise how big the sensors are in them? I hadn't noticed when looking on Amazon.

I agree.

just wanted to throw out there the sensor info. Easy to get carried away with this stuff

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I HAVE survalance cameras all around the pond it shows any issues from leaves build up to birds or other animals including two legged who may be up to no good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I HAVE survalance cameras all around the pond it shows any issues from leaves build up to birds or other animals including two legged who may be up to no good.
I have around 27 cams running, only two watch the driveway, the rest watch critters, ponds, etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dang you could track a nat on your property

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dang you could track a nat on your property
Wow! . That is a lot!
Lol I love watching our critters. See our fox, deer, fish, herons. Used to have two watching the hives, caught a few swarms leaving in time to rehive them.

Three watch the net covered deck the pups can go out on.

Two watch the drive, one right at door entrance, one watches the other garage.

I have more than once left to come to boat, head to Florida, been in AZ and have needed to call my best neighbor to fix something. One time a apple caused a foot drop of water.

While in az selling my house we had a rare 3 feet of snow, it slid off the garage roof, she went back to the hives and un covered them, totally covered up. The bees do poo runs in the winter, they need to get out.

We paid for 1/2 of a kitchen redo as a thank you. For all she does for us.

I dial in and check water level, cars, etc every few days, more so in the summer then winter.

With the cams I watch her walk the area and tell her where to look, most of the time deer caused. Next spring or this winter have some edge reinforcement to do. The small loop ponds. The main failure area.

Pond still running so keeping a bit of a eye on it. Being shut down when we get back. We did a 3 week boat stay, end of season, trip. After this it will be a lot colder. Temps hitting 70 this trip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have used a game camera in the past, but now I have the Amazon Blink cameras all around my house. They are wireless, working off your wifi and have two lithium AA batteries for power. I have removed the batteries and now use Wasserstein solar panels to power them. I've had no power outage problems with the solar panel, plus I'm able to turn up all the parameters (motion recording sensitivity, clip length, IR, etc.) of the camera and still not run out of power. So, the key is to use the Wasserstein solar panels so you don't have to keep changing batteries.

The Blink cameras don't use an sd card like the trail cameras, so you don't need to pull the sd card and put it in a computer, then scan through every picture.
They work through an app on your phone. You can view live or recorded clips on the cloud. You do have to pay for the cloud which is $100 a year.
I also have the Blink doorbell camera. Wasserstein makes a solar mount for that too.

They also have indoor cameras and there's one indoor model that will ring in your house with the doorbell camera.

And all the cameras have two way speech, so you can talk with someone near the camera.

My daughter has yelled through the camera at bears trying to get her chickens. It's quite funny how the bears look toward the camera and walk away.

You can put up to 10 cameras on one Blink module. The module goes in your house and connects wirelessly to your wifi.
It's all pretty easy to hook up too. You download the app on your phone and scan the code on each camera to add them to the system.

You don't need to be near your wifi to access the cameras or recorded clips. You can be anywhere your phone gets a signal. Out shopping, at a friend's house, etc.

Look for sales on multiple camera packages. They go on sale quite often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I use Arlo on my pond, Lov it I can’t watch live while at work or just go back and watch recorded videos from the night

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have nest around and ring so if someone tries to hack they will have to work on 3 systems at the same time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great suggestion, thanks!
Only problem I see it this in the description: I want animals, not worried about people

Relevant Recordings: The built-in AI ensures SoloCam S40 only records when a person is present, rather than an animal.

Ask a Question