Can you help a newbie please?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Be carefull on the pool you get to put them in as some of the liners are treated with algecide that is harmfull to your fish. Try to get something all plastic with no vinyl liner.

Reaction score
i would stick with the DIY filter they work better than most you can buy anyway but yes rebuild it like one of the ones in the DIY section here. how much water is the pump moving? GPH? how many gal do you think the filter holds?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We would still like to know how many gals you think that filter holds

Reaction score
DrCase said:
We would still like to know how many gals you think that filter holds

Yep sorry, but not at all sure how to guess at that.

When I am next there I will measure the diameter and depth of the filter, perhaps that would help with calculations?

I was also wondering about an Oase Bioteck 10 filter, there is one local to me second hand.

Reaction score
Well team finally we have a plan and we are going for it on Thursday - I have some friends helping!

1. Reduce the filter flow by diverting some to the waterfall via a variable T piece
  2. Replace both the UV bulbs
  3. Do the complete clean as you describe

However I have got some conflicting advice with regard to the temp pool!

First query:

Do I fill it with

1. pond water (from the top) or

2. fresh water and allow to sit for a couple of days first

Second query ( putting the fish back into the cleaned pond)

1. Do I bag the fish and float them onto the freshly filled pond so NO old water goes in or

2. Pump the temp pond water back in the clean pond first - then add the fish and trickle fill it with fresh water - yes I realise this puts dirty water back in, about 10% of the total - but it seems less stressful for the fish.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks Chris

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Why are you worried about a little old water? Ideally, you would introduce the new water into the container you are holding them in to aclimate the Koi. Then pick them up and set them in the pond. I use my hands and gently cradle them until they are released.

Reaction score
you bag the fish in the old water, but you don't ever pour that old water in to the "new" pond. As the Doc says, you gently lift 'em out once you've floated them 20 minutes and the temps match. DON'T float the bag in full sun, as the temp in the bag can quickly get hot.

Reaction score
We are saying the same thing, yes. Float them in a bag or container of old water since it will be the same temp as the fish are used to swimming in. Then just lift the fish outta old water and container and put in your new pond.

Reaction score
Thanks KoiKeepr, I thought I read Doc saying add clean water to the temp pond and not float anything.......must be confused, sorry

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
1. I use a transfer container that only holds a few gallons.
2. I place the fish into the 1/2 filled container.
3. Then I take it to the pond.
4. Start introducing pond water until they are equalized.
5. Watch the temperature. Depending on the container, I float it in a calm part of my pond.
6. Then I lift them out and place them into the pond.

Is that more clear?

Reaction score
So tomorrow is the day!

Hopefully by the end of it we will know how many fish and actually be able to see them!

Wish me luck!

Ask a Question