Carbon filter to remove chlorine

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to top off SWMBO'S small (105gal) container water garden about once a week. Is it effective to dechlorinate the fill water using a hose-end carbon filter? Anyone doing this already? It would be easier than using chemical dechlorinator and mixing in bucket(s).
20210320_1924263f33de5986cb6525.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t think carbon will dechlorinate water. Chemical dechlorinators are very easy to use. If all you are doing is “topping off” a small pond, all you need to be doing is adding the dechlorinator to the water. Are there fish? If no fish, then you don’t even need the dechlorinator.

Last edited:

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all.
I just find it annoying to count 10 drops of dechlorinator into a 5 gallon bucket and then hoist it up to dump in the tank. Old age catching up to me... :confused:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks all.
I just find it annoying to count 10 drops of dechlorinator into a 5 gallon bucket and then hoist it up to dump in the tank. Old age catching up to me... :confused:
I don't even measure mine! 1 scoop for a small amount of water, 2 if its more than a foot.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks all.
You can add it at the same time that you add water from the hose. No need to mix it with the water in the bucket.

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks again.
I guess I will go at this from another direction:
1618784903649.png

Under $20USD and I simply add the proper amount of chemical. Easy Peasy. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks again.
I guess I will go at this from another direction:
View attachment 138024
Under $20USD and I simply add the proper amount of chemical. Easy Peasy. (y)
Ha! You beat me to it! I was about to mention that device.
I've been using that for years!
Mine is green, but looks exactly like that one.
No guessing. Just watch the meter.

I just toss a couple of cap fulls of dechlorinator into the splashing hose water and watch for the proper amount of gallons to come up on the meter.

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
Update:
The Dave-O-Meter works great. If you have to fuss with dechlor this is definitely a handy device and <$20 USD from Amazon. Measures each fill and total fill in gallons and I think also liters and is resettable.
No more lifting heavy buckets!
20210425_10004788b14e3338468c22.jpg

Reaction score
I'd like to buy one of those, but i have been relying on our b-hyve hose controller (we use it to automate watering for our veggie garden way back in our yard). It has wifi built and an app and with that i can tell the number of gallons used... but i would like something more local to the end of the hose for when i top up or change water in the pond.
Have people found these to be "accurate"?

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
One web report on flowmeter accuracy mentions 5% error (low) which is probably "close enough".... but I will conduct some tests and get back to you.

Reaction score
5% is really not much of an error to worry about if that's all it is... over 1000gallons, that's only 50 gallons. That's a rounding error in the dechlorinator world.

Ask a Question