j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So I guess mine are pretty much the same size as yours for being that old. Your picture makes all your fish look huge!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen several times in different areas that the growth can be stunted by the size and or conditions. Not sure how I feel about that. I have one fish that I have had now 2 almost 3 years and has hardly grown while others have quadrupled in size

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Such a cold spring this year. My plants are so behind. Here is a picture of my blue rush last year and this year on May 4.

plants - blue rush - May 4  2019, 2020.jpg

My iris are also behind, but at least they have grown. Since I am in impatient gardener, I went out and bought a variegated Japanese iris to plant in this spot so I will see some growth sooner next spring.
Oh my. The rush had only been in the pond since 2018 and I could barely move it out of the pond. I almost went head first into the pond trying to get it out. And then divide it? That mass of roots was impossible. I think it was worse than the yellow flag iris. Finally I was able to get a couple of clumps separated. I decided to plant them in smaller containers so when I try to remove it from the pond next time, I don't end up with the fish.

plants - variegated iris and blue rush 2020-5-15.JPG

I have a question for those of you with bogs - Do you plant rush in your bogs? Is it difficult to keep under control?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Such a cold spring this year. My plants are so behind. Here is a picture of my blue rush last year and this year on May 4.

I have a question for those of you with bogs - Do you plant rush in your bogs? Is it difficult to keep under control?
i can't say i have not tried that type of rush before. I do have one type of rush i believe it is this stuff has taken over a side of the bog i ripped a bunch of it out last year and i torched the remaining to clear out all the dead blades. Well it certainly did not slow the plant down cooler spring or not . Anyone know what type of plant this is? i am pretty sure it's a rush it does get black spikes tops with yellow fingers we will call them .
WIN_20200516_09_02_45_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@cas While we love our fish, we'd prefer not to join them on a chilly day !

The other day I lost my balance in the bog and put my foot down on one of my variegated iris :(

As you know, it's my first season with a bog, but I'm going to steer clear of putting plants in I think will over take it with their root system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@cas While we love our fish, we'd prefer not to join them on a chilly day !

The other day I lost my balance in the bog and put my foot down on one of my variegated iris :(

As you know, it's my first season with a bog, but I'm going to steer clear of putting plants in I think will over take it with their root system.
Thats part of the bog system though is to out compete the algae the faster more aggressive the plant the better the odds for algae under control now if in your old pond the algae was never an issue then by all means take it slow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thats part of the bog system though is to out compete the algae the faster more aggressive the plant the better the odds for algae under control now if in your old pond the algae was never an issue then by all means take it slow.

I've got some plants in the bog now and a good mix ordered from Trickers arriving soon. I think it'll be pretty well planted, just hoping it all takes hold. I currently d o't have algae in my pond but I DO in my bog !

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been trying to get to where I have only male fish in the pond to prevent babies each year. I caught the big female goldfish (well, she got pushed into the skimmer net by anxious males) and I gave her away yesterday. I thought I had made progress. Then this morning I wake up to the koi spawning! What?? I thought they were all males. I have had them 11-14 years and I never saw any spawning going on before. I hope that it is just one confused koi and I don't have a female in the bunch.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of wild creatures will actually change over to the other sex if one is not present

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Beautiful day by the pond. Notice the lack of lily pads. :( I even fertilized them this spring. I'm hoping they are just getting a slow start because the pond water has been cool.

2020-6-3 kitchen.JPG

Ask a Question