1000 gallon garden pond

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I never did get good pictures of the goldfish/koi hybrids, but below are pictures taken in July. They are the yellow fish. By September the hybrids had doubled in size. I thought they were to be smaller than the parents. The rate they are growing, they would pass them in another year. My 16 and 13 year old koi are about 14". These are already 10". Found someone that would take them so was able to rehome them today.

fish 2022-7-26 (1).JPG

fish 2022-8-8 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very pretty yellow color :). I've read that hybrids are sterile, but then read a post somewhere and the OP said his spawned . Who knows, but at any rate they would add to the biological load, especially at that rate of growth....wonderful you were able to find a home for them.

I still can't believe how fortunate I was to find a good home for mine.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Tula I liked the yellow too and was considering getting rid of one the older white koi and keeping one of the yellow hybrids, but that koi is only 10" and it is 13 years old. I decided it was best to keep the three older, small male koi instead of taking a chance that these hybrids are not sterile and will get bigger. Heck, one of them already was as big as the 13 year old and by my calculations is 3 years old! In fact the koi I am talking about is in the second picture above, on the top left hand side. You can see how small he is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think you made a wise decision sticking with your older smaller koi, especially if they're all male. I was tempted a couple times to keep some pretty fry, but felt I needed to "stand by" my original koi.

I never measured my koi, but knew they were pretty big. When the man who took them was here he said they were 28 inches, with one being a little smaller. I do miss them , it's weird looking in the pond and not seeing them. My sister hasn't been here in several years and is visiting and said she really misses watching them.

We recently had our pesticide man we've used for 18 years here and he came to the door to ask what had happened to the koi ! He was afraid they'd died and was so relieved to here they were alive and well. He used to bring his little boy with him and he loved our pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish come to me, the fan tails eat out of my fingers........................ you just need some replacement fish that stay small. Koi are beautiful, more eye catching but my babies are beautiful just smaller.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Started up the pump yesterday.
All the fish made it through another winter! Can't believe the 18 year old goldfish is still hanging in there.
I left the pond breather and 2x4 board holding up the net because I don't trust mother nature and expect I will see more snow.
View from upstairs window:
2023-3-21 aerial, pump started.jpg

Ask a Question