CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not drawing from the cistern . i put a small submersible pump 480 gph that is on a float valve in the cistern . This dumps into the pond in dead pool just before the negative edge which is just above Schits creek there is the 2" intake line that i had planed for the cistern .There is also a 3" line from the main drains in the pond. Schits creek is almost 2 feet higher then the top of the cistern and the cistern is two large aquabock deep for another 3 feet if memory serves me. The external was the original design no regrets , the addition of deadpool and cistern changed this quite a bit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
RIVER ROCK !!!!!!!! Get all sizes multiple amounts place spill piles in some catch corners in the bog around the bog and in the pond. Look around you have river rock tailings all over the pnw. The more i think about it why not create a vertical edging with a 2x12 pt much like i did and have that on the outside of your sand bags, eventually your sand bags are going to fail if they do and they are backed with a piece of lumber then no harm no foul. make the 2x come up at least 3" higher then sand bags run the liner up over and make that bump out you were talking about but do it in a tier. if you don't have enough liner you appear to have plenty to do an over lap. Make a elevated carnivorous plant shelf color all year long .
carni (100 of 1).jpg
main falls (103 of 4).jpg

GREAT JOB ON THE VIDEOS Barney and Gabby have done well creating the oasis. Almost time to fire that system up . You got to be itching

One other little tip I could give as i see a two man boulder wrapped with the endless sling that takes a bit of time is something like this. While barney did not have a time limit for those who have a rental on the clock spending a couple bucks can save thousands . i found these tongs indispensable and so much faster then a sling the tongs also swiveled so you could adjust whats side you want to see.

Roughneck Log Lifting Tongs — 36in. Diameter, 3,300-Lb. Capacity​

Item# 51629
4.6 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 4.6 of 5. Read 44 Reviews Same page link.

(44)
Write a Review
Ask a Question

Roughneck Log Lifting Tongs — 36in. Diameter, 3,300-Lb. Capacity
Click image to enlarge

main_product_image additional_product_thumbnail_1

More images you'd like to see?
Only $239.99

On round rocks the tongs didn't want to grip onto the best a quick ratchet strap did the job to hold the jaws in place squeezing them together.

tongs  (100 of 1).jpg

The tongs are rated for 3,300 pounds by no means are they whimpy as we put it to the test in the photo below
Pond rock  (100 of 1)-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, @GBBUDD. Yeah, the filter still needs dressing up.

Love that log grapple for picking rocks. Though about getting one. Probably should have. Could have resold it when done I experimented with lots of boulder strapping methods and they all have pros and cons. Frequently found myself prying giant boulders up even when I thought the straps would come right out.

Mentioned in the video that I used small rocks where the bulkhead is, but then just saw a video from Atlantis where they use a “spider crane” to set some huge rocks in a small back yard. Has only a 2’ footprint before extending the legs out for stability. Very cool machine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, @GBBUDD. Yeah, the filter still needs dressing up.

Love that log grapple for picking rocks. Though about getting one. Probably should have. Could have resold it when done I experimented with lots of boulder strapping methods and they all have pros and cons. Frequently found myself prying giant boulders up even when I thought the straps would come right out.

Mentioned in the video that I used small rocks where the bulkhead is, but then just saw a video from Atlantis where they use a “spider crane” to set some huge rocks in a small back yard. Has only a 2’ footprint before extending the legs out for stability. Very cool machine.
We use those when we can n ot build roads to our work areas but usually brought in by a helicopter.

Give thought to the pt framing out the sand bags the more i thought about it the cooler it looks in my mind "scary place "

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Am thinking about that 2x12 wall. Would give back some space for a shelf. Can carnivorous plants survive in full Sun in pacific nw? Don’t know anything about them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guarantee there is, all but the extreme hot and cold will they grow in I SAWZONES 4 THROUGH 9 just last night sun dews are another wild plant . a simple trickle of water will do the job for a large area they prefer saturated soils very dense its jus course sand and peat 3 to 1 peat/ sphagnum i just have them slightly higher than water level

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you may even be able to remove a bag if you needed the depth and fill it in with the base material sand peat and andding gravel not to small works i have 3/4 river mixed in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The story of my life and, thus, this pond:

Wanted to finish up bog edging so I could grade the rest of the yard and get Barney out of that part of the property for good. Realized I have a few tricky elevations due to fixed points that can't change like the deck stairs and the shed.

Decide I really don't need the shed and can get more yard space and a better final grade if I remove it. Post it for sale on CL, but no takers. Too big to move out of yard in 1 piece, so decide to break it down and store the lumber under the deck until I can repurpose it and build a smaller one in another location.

Realize there's not enough space under the deck. Rearrange all the junk under there to make space. Start to reorganize garage to make space for the stuff that was in the shed. Wife has a bunch of boxes in garage full of daughter's baby clothes. Ask her if I can get rid of them, and she starts crying. Gonna take that as a no.

Move the boxes up to the attic. No space in the attic. Rearrange junk in the attic to make space. Start moving stuff from shed to garage. Rats made a nest in the firewood. Rat turds everywhere. Start to investigate where rats are coming from. Check watch. Out of time to work on pond. Go inside. Wife asks, "Did you get the edging done?" NO! I DIDN'T! OK!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It makes me think of the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie! One little thing leads to a million others that distract you from the original task. On the plus side, it sounds like you got a lot done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It makes me think of the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie! One little thing leads to a million others that distract you from the original task. On the plus side, it sounds like you got a lot done!

Yeah, I get a lot done around here, just not what I actually wanted to get done.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why I love my 2 stray cats I got fixed . There are lots of mice around here being in the country and they sure love to catch them . I purged everything and donated or gave stuff away to friends who could use the things . Win Win for every one and basement is organized and done . I figured if I have not used the stuff in over 5 years someone else can . I do want to build a new shed but geeze wood is so expensive and even prebuilt sheds are expensive as heck

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I purged everything and donated or gave stuff away to friends who could use the things .
I have been doing that for a few years now, box up, give to someone or donate to a pick up service for the vets. Still got more junk to get rid of, well nice junk. Gave my neighbors nephew a car full of tools, a lot brand new never used.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Should have cut the roof off in two pieces , walls in 4 pieces cut at the corners and then put on cl as stand up a shed where there's no access. Welcome to being a newish dad .. you took on alot with the pond you'll get there . you've seen the average pond build here your way above the rest..

3 days of above freezing and a days worth of rain ice went clear it is nice seeing all the fish as they come of of the cave and tunnels. saw everyone but dweezel

Ask a Question