CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
@combatwombat love the progress videos and it definitely looks like “phase 1” is almost complete . I noticed the large paver stone you have on the edges which I’m assuming is used to level and fill void space which I get. I had thoughts of doing the same thing at one point, but I didn’t like the idea of something that is concrete in the pond. I’m asking because I don’t know, but I guess there would be no fear of the concrete breaking down over time and potentially causing leeching? My reef tank days give me ptsd about concrete items and how sensitive coral and saltwater fish were.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
C.w., Very nice like the way you dug out behind the large rocks at the end of the video, so the water and pond will go up behind it, always a good way to make it look natural. Besides you got plenty of extra liner, so might as well make it as big as you can, even expanding it making a bunch of shallow areas that can be filled with gravel, cobble etc., making huge natural planting areas for marginals or whatever.

@Rabungalow the idea of concrete leeching harmful contaminants is a bit over blown. There may be impurities in it, but most of what concrete is will help balance the kh, ie through the lime, calcium carbonate. Also, keep in mind some of the plants in our ponds don’t just remove by products of the nitrogen cycle, but also heavy metals, which can be some impurities left in the concrete blocks. overtime concrete leeches less, not more so the concern for it as it ages is unwarranted, imo.

Personally have put concrete items like blocks etc in my pond for years. The small pond by my front door has the top row of rock by the sidewalk concreted in place, and has had no issues with fish or any other life in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This is awesome! The pond-builder in me is super intrigued with how you were able to work alone, manipulating big boulders all by yourself with Barney. The mother in me is HORRIFIED! I kept thinking "Oh my gosh, what if it slipped and crushed your hand???"
I also like your idea of using excess liner for a little shallow pool of aquatic plants. I would love to do something like that but the mosquitoes are SO BAD here, I don't dare have an area without circulation. This is looking great!!!!! I know you are getting really excited to see it all completed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I noticed the large paver stone you have on the edges which I’m assuming is used to level and fill void space

Do you mean the trapezoidal blocks inside the pond? That’s a segmental retaining wall:

1650206755641.jpeg

I don’t have much concern about the leaching. Whole koi ponds are built with concrete. They just get filled/drained a few times and they’re good to go. These blocks have had tons of time already to leach.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very nice like the way you dug out behind the large rocks at the end of the video, so the water and pond will go up behind it, always a good way to make it look natural.

Thanks! I saw that shallow area @GBBUDD built and really liked it. I actually have enough liner to make it even bigger, but then I’m running out of space for plumbing and terrestrial plants!

but most of what concrete is will help balance the kh, ie through the lime, calcium carbonate.

I didn’t know that. Nice bonus. I’d always heard like @Rabungalow that concrete leaches…something…that needs to be rinsed out before fish can be added.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The pond-builder in me is super intrigued with how you were able to work alone, manipulating big boulders all by yourself with Barney.

It’s a big pain setting big rocks by yourself. Constantly and out of the machine to make minor adjustments, and it almost never just sets down the way you want it to.

The mother in me is HORRIFIED! I kept thinking "Oh my gosh, what if it slipped and crushed your hand???"
I try to keep myself safe with the same healthy fear. I test every lift by shaking the rock while strapped to make sure it’s locked in the strap and try to never get between it and anything else where I could pinched. Sometimes unavoidable, though, when shining up a big one.

I would love to do something like that but the mosquitoes are SO BAD here, I don't dare have an area without circulation.
You know, that’sa good point. There should be flow through this area, but if there isn’t, I’ll either add some or fill it in!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Today's progress: Set the negative edge weir, dug another small plant shelf on the near side of the pond, and cut down the pump vaults. And got absolutely soaked doing it. Rained hard all day long.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your getting closer to water running.
One other huge advantage with the negative edge being super wide toward the pond it's self is. When it's that long shallow and wide. There's very little chance of fish going over the negative edge once over that it's generally no place for a fish . Gold fish in particular seem rather well Dumb in this regard I'd find fancy goldfish/ wiggle butts as some call them here over the negative edge daily .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your getting closer to water running.
One other huge advantage with the negative edge being super wide toward the pond it's self is. When it's that long shallow and wide. There's very little chance of fish going over the negative edge once over that it's generally no place for a fish . Gold fish in particular seem rather well Dumb in this regard I'd find fancy goldfish/ wiggle butts as some call them here over the negative edge daily .

Yeah, I tried to follow the advice that John G. Adams gives in his design tutorials. Keep the water really thin, have deep water ahead of the spillway (I think that's more for koi...), and have a pooling area after it to catch the ones that still make it over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found that video after I had made mine . While I have the width it is also pitched too much so if a fish did get there it's going over regardless I don't think I have ever lost a koi or a medium sized gold fish but the fancy appear to be dumb as stumps.

Won't be long now and you'll get to sit back and enjoy. Oh that's right you still have little ones . Ok you get to play house along side the pond. I believe it was a little girl you had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Won't be long now and you'll get to sit back and enjoy.

Still feels like forever away, but I know it's closer to being done than it looks. Just gotta keep plugging away every day.

Oh that's right you still have little ones . Ok you get to play house along side the pond. I believe it was a little girl you had.

Yep, almost 3. She loves to get dirty and jump in puddles too. And there are plenty around here right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nothing more satisfying than seeing a boulder placed correctly in just.the.right.spot. It's hard to describe it, but you know it when you see it!

Why the underlayment over the top of the cistern? Maybe I'm confused - it water flowing INTO it or OUT of it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nothing more satisfying than seeing a boulder placed correctly in just.the.right.spot. It's hard to describe it, but you know it when you see it!

Right? The timelapse is deceiving. It probably takes an hour to set every rock. And tomorrow you'll see me move one of them. haha

Why the underlayment over the top of the cistern? Maybe I'm confused - it water flowing INTO it or OUT of it?

Water is flowing out of the pond into the cistern. The fabric over the cistern is just to protect the bib liner that is under it from abrasion when setting boulders and to prevent UV damage to the liner over time. I'm covering ever inch of liner w/ fabric to try to protect it from long term uv exposure.

One of the last steps of finishing the cistern will be to cut a hole in the bib liner to allow the water down into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1: While I'm thinking about it, I could use one more explanation about landscaping over your cistern. I know yours is partially covered and I think you have a wood retaining wall holding back the dirt?

I'm going to partially cover mine, too. I am really not understanding how to keep dirty water from getting into the cistern. I have the whole cistern covered in liner + underlayment, but if you bring landscaping out over the footprint of the cistern, where does the rainwater that falls on that portion of landscaping go? Doesn't it end up seeping through the retaining wall and into the cistern via the opening in the top for the pond water to enter?

Maybe it's just not dirty by the time it gets there? What am I missing?

Ask a Question