CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Going to be doing some fall foam in a month or so for the first time to divert some water. Planned to just put it between the rocks and liner. What’s the fabric part?
Never used before but you’re giving me nightmares when I need to use later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you going to throw 7000 gph at the bog or did you spilt the line.
Yes, about half to the bog and the rest gets dumped on top.

That's where I was talking about caulking on top of the foam
Yeah, the caulking definitely works better where you can use it, but as I tried to use it, I found there are lots of spots where it's kind of impractical to actually place it.

What’s the fabric part?
I imagine he's talking about placing underlayment as a kind of bib liner over the liner before foaming. Maybe the foam sticks to it better.

Never used before but you’re giving me nightmares when I need to use later.
Wear gloves (latex works well) and clothes you don't mind ruining. Once it's on fabric, it's never coming off. And if you get it on your skin, wipe it off immediately or it'll be a week of scrubbing before you get the stain out of your skin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, about half to the bog and the rest gets dumped on top.

Yeah, the caulking definitely works better where you can use it, but as I tried to use it, I found there are lots of spots where it's kind of impractical to actually place it.

I imagine he's talking about placing underlayment as a kind of bib liner over the liner before foaming. Maybe the foam sticks to it better.

Wear gloves (latex works well) and clothes you don't mind ruining. Once it's on fabric, it's never coming off. And if you get it on your skin, wipe it off immediately or it'll be a week of scrubbing before you get the stain out of your skin.

Regarding it expanding and or cure time, any pro tips for that?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beyond it just being a material to cause stains on your hands and clothes, (maybe) not diverting water correctly, or adhering it directly to fabric, did you have to play w it to see how much it expands. Was time to cure and harden on point? Some say to wait 15 mins then push it down a bit or push gravel into the top once it has a crust to conceal it somewhat.

I’m dreading using it at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, you can deflate it and push it down into the cracks after about 10 min. If you want anything to stick to it, you need to put it on pretty soon while it’s still tacky. Otherwise the gravel or whatever doesn’t really stick to it once dry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Placing more stone onto a partially skinned foam that skin will fail and the peastone gravel will get pushed in . or even throwing sand or dirt at it

Reaction score
Country
United States
Placing more stone onto a partially skinned foam that skin will fail and the peastone gravel will get pushed in . or even throwing sand or dirt at it
Fail = damaged “skin” or crust = doesn’t divert water?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beyond it just being a material to cause stains on your hands and clothes, (maybe) not diverting water correctly, or adhering it directly to fabric, did you have to play w it to see how much it expands. Was time to cure and harden on point? Some say to wait 15 mins then push it down a bit or push gravel into the top once it has a crust to conceal it somewhat.

I’m dreading using it at the moment.
I just used it under a waterfall rock. Turned off the water did not move the rock to clean. Got the can running, squited it in. Gloveless, zero on hands, zero on clothes. Used a ton of it to stop the flow under the rock.

After it started expanding anywhere it poofed out where I did not want it. I took a stick and pushed it back. A bit of black is showing, but can't really see due to the water falling over it.

With care easy to use. Mineral spirits takes it off hands.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can cut it with a sharp knife, blade back to where you want it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no just the skin will pop exposing semi cured foam thats inside that's when you want to apply stone to the foam doesn't take long to get to that point
You can cut it with a sharp knife, blade back to where you want it.
that's the best part you don't have to be precise with the foam as it expands there's no worries if it starts going to far . i use the electric multi tool with the scraper on it cuts like better and exactly as you want it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I think I messed up the bog plumbing. Should have thought it through a little better. I put a breather pipe in to break siphon, but I also had the genius idea to use a bulkhead, which enters the bog about a 1' below water level.

Bog was full and I cut the cap off of my stub out outside the pond to finish the line to the pond and water starts gushing out. Hmm. Why isn't the breather?

Well, because breather pipe stops SIPHON, not GRAVITY! Duh. Probably should have figured that out when I realized I needed to cap the stub out in the first place.

I'll still have a check valve in the cistern to prevent back flow and a valve after the pump for shutdowns, but seems I wasted some time and materials on the breather when it won't really help me until water level has dropped a foot.

Gonna have to live with it for now. Too much else to do!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF I'M FOLLOWING why not cut the pipe add a fitting and a vacuum breaker those in my opinion blow away check valves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IF I'M FOLLOWING why not cut the pipe add a fitting and a vacuum breaker those in my opinion blow away check valves

Maybe I still don't understand vacuum breakers. I had 2 valves open above water line as well as a standpipe with hole in it. All connected to the primary bog line.

Those should all do the same thing as an open vacuum breaker, right?

Ask a Question