Darksaber Pond - My Next Adventure

20' by 30' pond w/ 30' stream and 10' by 20' wetland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Anyone use an automatic feeder they like, especially one that's solar-powered? I searched the forum and didn't seem to find too many that like using them.

Meant to add - I've not used an auto feeder, but I've read lots of negative reviews of various units. They seem to fail more often than not. Probably a better bet to hire a neighborhood kid to come feed the fish if you need to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
No - every block has six sides and reinforcement cross pieces inside.

From watching the video, it appears that these have way more "flex" than Aqua-blox do. Possibly it doesn't affect the strength at all - just an observation from watching him assemble these.

It says for small panels (pack of 4) for $17 and large panels (pack of 4) for $32 so that'd be about $49 a block, they can't possibly be $17 and $32 for 4 blocks, can they?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Meant to add - I've not used an auto feeder, but I've read lots of negative reviews of various units. They seem to fail more often than not. Probably a better bet to hire a neighborhood kid to come feed the fish if you need to.

Thanks, I've never been comfortable with anyone feeding my fish, generally, I'd rather let them go without. This was for normal feedings, I was hoping to do a couple of smaller feedings a day with the autofeeder then do a manual one for enjoyment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
a couple of smaller feedings a day with the autofeeder then do a manual one for enjoyment.

That's a lot of feeding! Do you always feed them that many times in a day? (Says the "did anyone remember to feed the fish today?" lady!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It says for small panels (pack of 4) for $17 and large panels (pack of 4) for $32 so that'd be about $49 a block, they can't possibly be $17 and $32 for 4 blocks, can they?

Oh my gosh! You paid more attention than I did! Good catch. I just watched the video and didn't look at the pricing.

@GBBUDD - check the actual pricing. They are selling these as separate components. A full "matrix" is 55 bucks! I have no clue why the would sell these as separate components... unless you were going to size them up or down based on need?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah i didn't get to far into it as i would start thinking of expanding AGAIN. but there was on advantage they have it so you don't need two large panels in order to have two three or even four stacked on top of each other eliminating a large panel between each .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm confused, do you need to by 1 set of small and 1 set of larger to make one block? Still a pretty good price... I wanted to do rainwater collection it just stretched the budget too much when we did all the landscaping and everything else that'll need to be done.
SEEMS I MAY HAVE BEEN THE ONE WHO WAS CONFUSED. i didnt get fully into it with the site seems they are no deal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
That's a lot of feeding! Do you always feed them that many times in a day? (Says the "did anyone remember to feed the fish today?" lady!)

I come from the reef aquarium side so I've always tried to do lots of VERY small feedings, then a larger manual one, that I probably only actually do a few times a week. I was thinking that could work for the Koi, at least until they are big enough that I don't have to worry about herons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I come from the reef aquarium side so I've always tried to do lots of VERY small feedings, then a larger manual one, that I probably only actually do a few times a week. I was thinking that could work for the Koi, at least until they are big enough that I don't have to worry about herons.
this is never going to happen. I'll link a video below, just as evidence but even if a heron can't physically swallow your fish (see video, again), they'll kill/injure it just trying. You need to seriously consider how you're going to protect them and the only sure way seems to be with a net. Many threads and ponders here to support this, just ask @addy1 .

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my pond was less than a moth old and with no fish i saw a heron hanging around. nature will take what it needs if you can not cover your fish get cheap fish so you will not lose too much money. i am going for goldfish next spring if the herons take them they are 5 bucks for 20 fish. if they eat all of them i will not have fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was thinking that could work for the Koi, at least until they are big enough that I don't have to worry about herons.

I guess I don't see what the two have to do with each other. Actually if herons are an issue, I wouldn't feed the fish at all unless I was standing by the pond. Food dropped on the surface of the pond will bring them to the top - if a heron is there waiting that will be the end of that.

Unless you are trying to grow your fish fast (which as you can see above won't help one bit with herons) there's really no reason they need to be fed multiple times a day. Not that it's bad in any way - just not necessary and won't address what appears to be your concern with herons. If you stick to goldfish in a pond you can literally never feed them at all, once the pond is well-established. Koi get so large that they need to be fed, at least in a standard garden pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With my wild life photography I have watched herons for hours . they are extremely patient hunters and while hunting they appear to be a rather smart animal. HOWEVER put them in flight and give them a obstacle course to fly trough and there's little doubt they are not a skillful flier. Not that they can only fly straight but if the have to drop quick into an area and land between items they seem to usually refuse to try and land there. I have even seen one where he got his head stuck between two branches and hung himself and was hanging in the tree they will land on a roof and drop down but they Must have a flight patch out and that's where the trick comes in take away the flight path.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
I wouldn't feed the fish at all unless I was standing by the pond. Food dropped on the surface of the pond will bring them to the top - if a heron is there waiting that will be the end of that.

Unless you are trying to grow your fish fast (which as you can see above won't help one bit with herons) there's really no reason they need to be fed multiple times a day.

Thanks, I hadn't considered the first thought that multiple feedings might make them easy targets, yes I was thinking to fatten them up in the first couple of years.

Do the fish generally find deeper areas when they are around? I have no idea if I'm going to have issues but the water for most of the pond is 4 foot and there will be some fish caves, there are some shallower areas near either side and the back.

Ask a Question