Do you have an HDRPE liner from American Tilapia / Florida Tilapia / Pondliner USA? How's that going for you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Damn.
Well, I guess time will tell.
Once it stops raining and you can isolate each feature, then maybe you can get a better idea of what is going on.

I really hope it's just some stupid external plumbing leak. That would be a much better scenario.

All but one external fitting is unburied and they're all dry as a bone. Could it be that last one? Maybe! But I don't think so. There's a bulkhead through the lining to the bog but, far as I can tell, bog holds water when pump is shut down. But ones patches are complete, I'll know more. Glad you haven't had this issue with your liner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used their product for my pond, stream, and bog. As far as I can tell I haven't had any issues with water loss due to the liner itself. I am still losing water from an overlap I need to seam in the upper stream, places I cut the liner too short, and typical splashing. Last I checked the pond held a steady water level with the pump shut down. But I'll admit seeing the issues you've been having is making me a little wary of my choice in liner. Hope you figure it out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used their product for my pond, stream, and bog. As far as I can tell I haven't had any issues with water loss due to the liner itself. I am still losing water from an overlap I need to seam in the upper stream, places I cut the liner too short, and typical splashing. Last I checked the pond held a steady water level with the pump shut down. But I'll admit seeing the issues you've been having is making me a little wary of my choice in liner. Hope you figure it out!

I’m glad to hear it. If you’re curious, go pull up a section of the liner on the side that is below waterline and see if there are any drips coming through it. Give a section a rub with a cloth and see what happens.

William at American Tilapia was adamant that pin hole leaks will plug themselves with minerals. He might be right. I am monitoring my situation continuously right now, and even though I have more leaks than I can count, I may not actually be losing much water, and a few that I am monitoring do seem to seal themselves after a day or so. But they open up again if I disturb them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hummm....pin holes sealing with minerals?
I guess that's possible. At least I hope so.
Monitor any water loss and keep us posted.
Factor in weather conditions concerning evaporation as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have this liner and do lose water but I have lost a little water with every liner I have had. It seems to hold up better than the epdm That I have had in the past. I have always tried to find the source but with a waterfall that splashes I have always chalked it up to that or low spots which I have fixed in the past. I probably lose about a 1/4 inch every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Monitor any water loss and keep us posted.
Factor in weather conditions concerning evaporation as well.

For sure. Have had a few clear days now and am losing a pretty consistent 100 gallons per day. I'm not really sure yet how to accurately measure evaporation loss, but assume it could be up to half of that #, so maybe about 50 gal/day in leakage.

I have this liner and do lose water but I have lost a little water with every liner I have had. It seems to hold up better than the epdm That I have had in the past. I have always tried to find the source but with a waterfall that splashes I have always chalked it up to that or low spots which I have fixed in the past. I probably lose about a 1/4 inch every day.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Have you ever checked the back side of the liner below water level?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
combawombat - this is no solution and doesn't change the fact that you are dealing with a terrible situation. But - do you guys get a lot of rain on a regular basis? I'm hoping you do - and that maybe your water loss can slow down enough to be refilled with rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
combawombat - this is no solution and doesn't change the fact that you are dealing with a terrible situation. But - do you guys get a lot of rain on a regular basis? I'm hoping you do - and that maybe your water loss can slow down enough to be refilled with rain.

Yep, almost 40 inches/year. Plenty of rain. Probably no issue at all 9 months of the year. Potentially still an issue the other 3. I also want to plant some trees and bushes around the pond, and I'm a bit concerned about their root systems finding these leaks and enlarging them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will keep checking through different conditions, but I am now losing a very consistent 80 gallons per day. My guess is that 40-50 of that is evaporation and the rest is leakage. Will see what happens on future windy days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I will keep checking through different conditions, but I am now losing a very consistent 80 gallons per day. My guess is that 40-50 of that is evaporation and the rest is leakage. Will see what happens on future windy days.
Have you left a "large" bucket of water out to see its evaporation vs the pond? Here in Florida, it has been less humid than the summer will be and is consistently breezy, and I've been seeing half to one inch loss in 4-5 days and was initially concerned, but I left out a 36" diameter bucket of water and it lost about the same/ a little less. I am sure my bog plants are undoubtedly pulling out water (I know you haven't planted much yet). My fingers are crossed for you that your pond is normal, not leaky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you left a "large" bucket of water out to see its evaporation vs the pond? Here in Florida, it has been less humid than the summer will be and is consistently breezy, and I've been seeing half to one inch loss in 4-5 days and was initially concerned, but I left out a 36" diameter bucket of water and it lost about the same/ a little less. I am sure my bog plants are undoubtedly pulling out water (I know you haven't planted much yet). My fingers are crossed for you that your pond is normal, not leaky.

I have not because I have a negative edge skimmer, so I can only do the bucket test if I shut down the pump. I am planning to shut it down soonish to patch all the leaks I know I have, and I think I will do the bucket test at the same time to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I do believe I may be to a point where evaporation is much of my loss and the leaks are relatively insignificant. Will know more soon.

Ask a Question