Do you have an HDRPE liner from American Tilapia / Florida Tilapia / Pondliner USA? How's that going for you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I have not because I have a negative edge skimmer, so I can only do the bucket test if I shut down the pump. I am planning to shut it down soonish to patch all the leaks I know I have, and I think I will do the bucket test at the same time to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I do believe I may be to a point where evaporation is much of my loss and the leaks are relatively insignificant. Will know more soon.
I don't follow the NE skimmer v bucket, but ok. I was looking for it to measure the whole pond-bog-cistern- combo level versus the bucket. I am thrilled you may be at the evap-only point.
You have done a great job and I am eagerly waiting for the GPF-virtual-event of your pond-patio unveiling. (no pressure!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't follow the NE skimmer v bucket, but ok. I was looking for it to measure the whole pond-bog-cistern- combo level versus the bucket.

I can measure all water loss in the system via the cistern, but not evaporation only. But maybe I'm missing what you're saying. Are you seeing a way that I can see just evaporation loss using the bucket test with the system still running?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I can measure all water loss in the system via the cistern, but not evaporation only. But maybe I'm missing what you're saying. Are you seeing a way that I can see just evaporation loss using the bucket test with the system still running?
Being of simple mind, and somewhat lazy, I'd pick and mark a point in the pond for the water level. Ditto for the bucket. Wait a day, keep the system running, measure how much lower the water is in pond and bucket. If it's the same, the drop in water level is evaporation, not a leak, regardless of how much in gallons it is. That will help ID whether there are significant leaks or, "not so bad", or even, "none".
Hmm. Also. Keep kids, dogs, horses, deer, lamas, moose from drinking out of the bucket.
Hope this is a right approach and helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Being of simple mind, and somewhat lazy, I'd pick and mark a point in the pond for the water level. Ditto for the bucket. Wait a day, keep the system running, measure how much lower the water is in pond and bucket. If it's the same, the drop in water level is evaporation, not a leak, regardless of how much in gallons it is. That will help ID whether there are significant leaks or, "not so bad", or even, "none".
Hmm. Also. Keep kids, dogs, horses, deer, lamas, moose from drinking out of the bucket.
Hope this is a right approach and helps.

Ah, this strategy doesn’t work with negative edge if pump is running because pond level is always the same as it spills over into cistern. But it’s no big deal to turn the pump off for a day or two and get a better gauge. Will do it soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Ah, this strategy doesn’t work with negative edge if pump is running because pond level is always the same as it spills over into cistern. But it’s no big deal to turn the pump off for a day or two and get a better gauge. Will do it soon.
ah. pffft. good luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

The problem with this is that moving water has a higher evaporation rate than still water, so just remember to consider that after you do the experiment. Not sure exactly how much but I think it's pretty significant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I have had this liner since 6/22. It’s a 25’ x 50’. I have a one piece that starts at the top, has my bog with all hoses and pvc inside my liner, overflow into my pond. Left side has a waterfall with old bio filter in it, again, all contained within my liner. Pond is between 3700-4000 gallons, it’s 4 1/2’-5’ deep with a section under bog waterfall that is 3’ deep. I have a ledge that goes all the way around that is approximately 10”+ wide and is 5”+ deep. All my pump hoses lay on these ledges and are covered with round, smooth river rock. If I were to ever have a leak, it would all be contained within the liner. In7 months, I have had no issues and am very happy with my product.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
yorkie2.gif
@older Mama

Ask a Question