Duck Weed from friends Pond.

Reaction score
My friend has a 10 acre pond that has large areas covered with Duck Weed. What dangers would I risk if I brought home some in late spring or early summer? What I have gotten at fish stores is expensive and not nearly enough to have any left after the piglets find it. I love the look of it and the fish love the taste. Please advise.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I know some will disagree with me, but I've always believed that the fish will eat whatever is in with that duckweed, and suffer no great harm. Let's face it, any bugs in with the plants can just as well find their OWN way into your pond! Go for it.
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not worried about stuff coming with plants, so far it has never been an issue. (no koi) You can do a quick light bleach soak/wash to wipe out critters or some of them. Test the plants to make sure it does not kill them too.

Agree haro, any things in that pond are probably already in her pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have gotten a bunch of it from wild ponds and tossed some into the pond and fish love it and are still living w/ no extra heads or growing teeth :cool:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The plants I worry more about are the ones that come from nurseries or big box stores .But rooted plants I always figure it is up to the person and the health of the pond the plants are coming from .But duckweed has fine little roots so if there was something there you would see it .

Ask a Question