Easy Peasy Pond Deck If Anyone is Interested

Reaction score
We get 10" of precipitation a year on average. We are the second driest state in the United States next to Nevada holding the number 1 spot. We get snow but most of the time our snow is so dry you can't even make a snow ball out of it. We also have more sunny days than most of the country. On average we have over 230 sunny days per year!

Really nice looking deck and beautiful pond.

For most people having that 2 x 4 material directly in contact with the ground is going to be an issue - not so much if you live in the desert.

The 2" PT lumber sold at the big box stores is not rated for ground contact (says so right on the tag) and may rot very quickly if used that way.

The 4" material, like fence posts, is rated for ground contact and will last a long time. It's a little more expensive, but if you live in anything other than a very dry climate it would be a much better choice.

I guess it really all depends on your climate, how much you want to spend, and how long you want it to last.

I wish I could get away with that method here because I love the way yours looks, but in wet FL it wouldn't last very long at all. And that would be the case in large parts of the U.S.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Really nice looking deck and beautiful pond.

For most people having that 2 x 4 material directly in contact with the ground is going to be an issue - not so much if you live in the desert.

The 2" PT lumber sold at the big box stores is not rated for ground contact (says so right on the tag) and may rot very quickly if used that way.

The 4" material, like fence posts, is rated for ground contact and will last a long time. It's a little more expensive, but if you live in anything other than a very dry climate it would be a much better choice.

I guess it really all depends on your climate, how much you want to spend, and how long you want it to last.

I wish I could get away with that method here because I love the way yours looks, but in wet FL it wouldn't last very long at all. And that would be the case in large parts of the U.S.

Great point! Our ground is so dry even when it rains sometimes the sand never looks wet. I imagine there would be rotting issues is other locations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I loved seeing your pond in person last summer, and this brings back it's beauty again. Thanks so much for sharing your deck build and how easily you move it. You have given me some great ideas for the bridge or walkway I want to build across my stream. Instead of an up and over bridge (curved or angled up and down), I may simply make a straight across small deck, with the stream below it, laying on the koi pond edge on one side, and blocks on the stream side. Thanks so much! And, I really like that you don't have it attached to the ground, and therefore can move it away to stain or refinish it, no worries about any chemicals going into the pond water.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I loved seeing your pond in person last summer, and this brings back it's beauty again. Thanks so much for sharing your deck build and how easily you move it. You have given me some great ideas for the bridge or walkway I want to build across my stream. Instead of an up and over bridge (curved or angled up and down), I may simply make a straight across small deck, with the stream below it, laying on the koi pond edge on one side, and blocks on the stream side. Thanks so much! And, I really like that you don't have it attached to the ground, and therefore can move it away to stain or refinish it, no worries about any chemicals going into the pond water.
Country that is how I have my bridge over my stream, it just rests on each side of the stream, I used pressure treated wood. My bridge that crosses my actual pond is done the same way, the 2x4's are just resting on bricks sunk in the ground and have no issues of rot yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good deal! I have access to as many of the old type ceramic blocks (they used to build smaller shed with them, hollow, about 18" long, 6" square, so could use them to have the deck/bridge rest on and be out of the ground. Just want to make sure somehow that it doesn't move when people walk across it. How does that work? I guess I could stack the blocks higher on the outer edges, to keep it from moving ....

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Can you get the deck blocks with the indent in the top? They'll hold 2x lumber on edge or 4x4's on end, and are quite stable.
John

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
15698.6883M-DB6x6_4.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Love your idea I want to put similar around part of my pond and don't want to have to get a permit to put a couple pieces of wood in the ground, that's along the lines of what I was thinking but wasn't sure exactly how, does it wiggle or can you feel movement when you step on or off it? If that makes any sense, I know its level so I don't mean like the whole thing move but not sure if I am asking the right question lol. Looks beautiful btw

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dig down a foot or so, fill with limestone screenings, compact by hand, place a patio slab on the compacted limestone screenings and then place the deck block on the patio slab.

For ease of adjustment at a later date (frost heave), place a 4x4 (pressure treated, of course) in the deck block. Draw a line from one corner of the 4x4 to the opposite corner, do the same to create an "X" on the upright 4x4. You'll now have determined the center of the 4x4. Get an adjustable deck saddle (they're able to screw up and down with a wrench). Measure the spike on the adjustable deck saddle. Drill down into the 4x4 that's in the deck block, insert the adjustable deck saddle into the hole and voila.........put your joists up and start decking.

If your deck ever heaves or sinks, you've got an easy means by which to level it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Love your idea I want to put similar around part of my pond and don't want to have to get a permit to put a couple pieces of wood in the ground, that's along the lines of what I was thinking but wasn't sure exactly how, does it wiggle or can you feel movement when you step on or off it? If that makes any sense, I know its level so I don't mean like the whole thing move but not sure if I am asking the right question lol. Looks beautiful btw

No it doesn't wiggle when you step on it as long as it is level. I like the ideas added by others of using concrete blocks rather than bricks as I think with a little grave under them you could level it easier. If it were smaller and weighed less it may move though. This deck is pretty heavy. Hubby and I can carry it together but if it's just me I stand it on it's end and walk it back and forth across the ground to move it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Dig down a foot or so, fill with limestone screenings, compact by hand, place a patio slab on the compacted limestone screenings and then place the deck block on the patio slab.

For ease of adjustment at a later date (frost heave), place a 4x4 (pressure treated, of course) in the deck block. Draw a line from one corner of the 4x4 to the opposite corner, do the same to create an "X" on the upright 4x4. You'll now have determined the center of the 4x4. Get an adjustable deck saddle (they're able to screw up and down with a wrench). Measure the spike on the adjustable deck saddle. Drill down into the 4x4 that's in the deck block, insert the adjustable deck saddle into the hole and voila.........put your joists up and start decking.

If your deck ever heaves or sinks, you've got an easy means by which to level it.

luckily I haven't had a freezing problem with the ground. Our ground is very sandy and hardly freezes solid for long in the winter. I actually think the little bit of insulation the deck provide prevents the ground underneath from freezing at all.

Ask a Question