Expand my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The biggest challenge will be the folds in the liner. Where it is not straight like you said there will be folds and to be honest with you. i would use this opportunity to fine tune your skills. i would bet you learned a lot from your build and if you ask here and look at other builds you can learn how to hide the liner and make the project look natural. You can substitute the indoor out door carpet for some rock or even a tree stump or log. the pond is not that big where a new liner may be your best bet instead of trying to seam.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right Iv come up with an idea , I hope will work , my 2nd pond will sit right beside my existing pond and to link them I can use a 2ft length of pvc pipe with an elbow or curve dipping into the water of both ponds, the actual pipe will rest on ground level in between the ponds. The pipe will be 12” dia. See photos. Will this work ?

Attachments

• 0C75A031-7D3D-4ED0-AEF8-431472BA3D29.jpeg
    0C75A031-7D3D-4ED0-AEF8-431472BA3D29.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 65
  • BB093D92-25A9-473D-BC12-394F6094E92B.jpeg
    BB093D92-25A9-473D-BC12-394F6094E92B.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 66

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Right Iv come up with an idea , I hope will work , my 2nd pond will sit right beside my existing pond and to link them I can use a 2ft length of pvc pipe with an elbow or curve dipping into the water of both ponds, the actual pipe will rest on ground level in between the ponds. The pipe will be 12” dia. See photos. Will this work ?
Is this going to be how water gets from one pond to the other?
If so, It will work until air bubbles get caught in the top of the pipe breaking the siphon. To be honest doing it that way makes it more trouble than it is worth.

I would either as was suggested seam the liners together or just buy a new liner that covers the whole new pond. Or if you are going higher with the new pond just lap the upper pond liner over and into the lower pond as long as you have enough lap over the water shouldn’t escape, no seaming necessary.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How about having the pipe below ground with a elbow heading up, have the elbow right at water level. I bet you could use a big pipe clamp, some sealant and make it work. Maybe................lol

But getting a new liner would work a bit better. Make your new pond a bit higher as said above.
Not the best drawing lol Not even sure it would work either.
pond.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this going to be how water gets from one pond to the other?
If so, It will work until air bubbles get caught in the top of the pipe breaking the siphon. To be honest doing it that way makes it more trouble than it is worth.

I would either as was suggested seam the liners together or just buy a new liner that covers the whole new pond. Or if you are going higher with the new pond just lap the upper pond liner over and into the lower pond as long as you have enough lap over the water shouldn’t escape, no seaming necessary.
My idea is more a way that my fish can swim from pond to pond. My existing pond gives me no trouble whatsoever so I’d rather not disturb it, add and glueing a second liner scares me , I’d prefer not to do it hence my idea of linking using pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How about having the pipe below ground with a elbow heading up, have the elbow right at water level. I bet you could use a big pipe clamp, some sealant and make it work. Maybe................lol

But getting a new liner would work a bit better. Make your new pond a bit higher as said above.
Not the best drawing lol Not even sure it would work either. View attachment 132301
Do you mean cut the pipe at 8pm and 4pm angles ? Anyone care to add to this idea ? Good or bad ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Frankie61 I have been following this a little bit, but I’m sorry to say that I am confused about what you are trying to do. I thought at first you simply wanted to expand your pond, but then it started sounding like you wanted to have 2 ponds that connect with each other. I thought I read something about having them at different levels (?). Do you mean as in having a stream or waterfall between them, where one flows into the other? I apologize, but I’m so visually oriented that it’s hard for me to “see” anything when it’s expressed in words.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you mean cut the pipe at 8pm and 4pm angles ? Anyone care to add to this idea ? Good or bad ?
Actually not sure, cause to get fish to swim from one pond to the other the pipe end would need to be below water. If I needed to do it, I would experiment with wrapping liner around the pipe, use hose clamps, good sealant and go for it. But it might fail!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Frankie61 I have been following this a little bit, but I’m sorry to say that I am confused about what you are trying to do. I thought at first you simply wanted to expand your pond, but then it started sounding like you wanted to have 2 ponds that connect with each other. I thought I read something about having them at different levels (?). Do you mean as in having a stream or waterfall between them, where one flows into the other? I apologize, but I’m so visually oriented that it’s hard for me to “see” anything when it’s expressed in words.
I did want to expand my pond however I’m actually afraid to mess it up or rather mess the pond I have now up so I thought what is the simplest way to have one larger pond , I don’t want to disturb my existing liner and attaching a second liner scares me in case I do it wrongly so hence the pipe idea.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did want to expand my pond however I’m actually afraid to mess it up or rather mess the pond I have now up so I thought what is the simplest way to have one larger pond , I don’t want to disturb my existing liner and attaching a second liner scares me in case I do it wrongly so hence the pipe idea.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But if you go with pipes, unless I am totally misunderstanding, wouldn’t you have to cut into the liners to create bulkheads at each end?

My experience with that is almost zilch-ish, but that’s what I had to do when I built my satellite bog a few years back. This was so I could add a bog within my turtle habitat, that would be fed by the main pond, but not be physically connected to the main pond. I was TERRIFIED to cut into the liner (of the bog, not of the pond), but it all worked out OK. I connected the 2 with 4” PVC, but they weren’t connected the way it sounds like you are saying. I built the bog higher than the pond. Water was pumped into the satellite, turtle bog, but the return was by gravity, via the 4” PVC. There wasn’t any way that fish could go back and forth, though.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would this work ? Pip

Not the best drawing lol Not even sure it would work either. View attachment 132301
this seems a better idea than mine .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this seems a better idea than mine .
I am a try it see if it works, but leave a back door open so you can go back if it does not. If you do what I sort of suggested, which may or may not work, make the angles sweeps, like 45's not 90's or like sewer sweeps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I’m half way there , i bought a firestone pond seaming kit which I use nervously this will give me a pond of approximately 600 gallons.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to add photo lol

Attachments

• 222E3192-F32C-46C1-9542-C75A2CA3AC9B.jpeg
    222E3192-F32C-46C1-9542-C75A2CA3AC9B.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 97

Ask a Question