Expand my pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How about having the pipe below ground with a elbow heading up, have the elbow right at water level. I bet you could use a big pipe clamp, some sealant and make it work. Maybe................lol

But getting a new liner would work a bit better. Make your new pond a bit higher as said above.
Not the best drawing lol Not even sure it would work either. View attachment 132301
Do you mean cut the pipe at 8pm and 4pm angles ? Anyone care to add to this idea ? Good or bad ?

Ad

Advertisements

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Frankie61 I have been following this a little bit, but I’m sorry to say that I am confused about what you are trying to do. I thought at first you simply wanted to expand your pond, but then it started sounding like you wanted to have 2 ponds that connect with each other. I thought I read something about having them at different levels (?). Do you mean as in having a stream or waterfall between them, where one flows into the other? I apologize, but I’m so visually oriented that it’s hard for me to “see” anything when it’s expressed in words.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you mean cut the pipe at 8pm and 4pm angles ? Anyone care to add to this idea ? Good or bad ?
Actually not sure, cause to get fish to swim from one pond to the other the pipe end would need to be below water. If I needed to do it, I would experiment with wrapping liner around the pipe, use hose clamps, good sealant and go for it. But it might fail!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Frankie61 I have been following this a little bit, but I’m sorry to say that I am confused about what you are trying to do. I thought at first you simply wanted to expand your pond, but then it started sounding like you wanted to have 2 ponds that connect with each other. I thought I read something about having them at different levels (?). Do you mean as in having a stream or waterfall between them, where one flows into the other? I apologize, but I’m so visually oriented that it’s hard for me to “see” anything when it’s expressed in words.
I did want to expand my pond however I’m actually afraid to mess it up or rather mess the pond I have now up so I thought what is the simplest way to have one larger pond , I don’t want to disturb my existing liner and attaching a second liner scares me in case I do it wrongly so hence the pipe idea.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did want to expand my pond however I’m actually afraid to mess it up or rather mess the pond I have now up so I thought what is the simplest way to have one larger pond , I don’t want to disturb my existing liner and attaching a second liner scares me in case I do it wrongly so hence the pipe idea.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But if you go with pipes, unless I am totally misunderstanding, wouldn’t you have to cut into the liners to create bulkheads at each end?

My experience with that is almost zilch-ish, but that’s what I had to do when I built my satellite bog a few years back. This was so I could add a bog within my turtle habitat, that would be fed by the main pond, but not be physically connected to the main pond. I was TERRIFIED to cut into the liner (of the bog, not of the pond), but it all worked out OK. I connected the 2 with 4” PVC, but they weren’t connected the way it sounds like you are saying. I built the bog higher than the pond. Water was pumped into the satellite, turtle bog, but the return was by gravity, via the 4” PVC. There wasn’t any way that fish could go back and forth, though.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would this work ? Pip
How about having the pipe below ground with a elbow heading up, have the elbow right at water level. I bet you could use a big pipe clamp, some sealant and make it work. Maybe................lol

But getting a new liner would work a bit better. Make your new pond a bit higher as said above.
Not the best drawing lol Not even sure it would work either. View attachment 132301
this seems a better idea than mine .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this seems a better idea than mine .
I am a try it see if it works, but leave a back door open so you can go back if it does not. If you do what I sort of suggested, which may or may not work, make the angles sweeps, like 45's not 90's or like sewer sweeps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I’m half way there , i bought a firestone pond seaming kit which I use nervously this will give me a pond of approximately 600 gallons.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to add photo lol

Attachments

• 222E3192-F32C-46C1-9542-C75A2CA3AC9B.jpeg
    222E3192-F32C-46C1-9542-C75A2CA3AC9B.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 76
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
look at the blog on seaming closely it shows you all you need to know . The first thing i would do i take a piece of scrap and try seaming that first before you go for the pond seam place 2x12 or similar under the rubber flatten it out as best as you can .... CLEAN WELL ....wait until the rubber is completely dry use a hair dryer if necessary. Apply the Firestone seaming adhesive WAIT UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY DRY TO THE TOUCH . apply the seam tape repeat and use a roller to work the seam tight together. caulk the edges . Where you are nervous about the seam. double seam your joint. place the 2 over the old pond close to the joint. pull the rubber from the new pond and flip it into the old pond. EXPOSING THE SEAM AND REPEAT. caulk the seam and you now have 6 barriers to keep the seam from leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should have stressed not to stretch the rubber work out your wrinkles but do so without stretching
Well it’s done , I’m 90% happy with it . My biggest problem was I was joining an area of 75cm but the pond was 2 metres wide , hard to describe, just to say the pond is a figure 8 shape and the join was right in the middle of the 8 . Here are some photos

Attachments

• C8EC80B8-052F-4374-A0B6-B09460921A45.jpeg
    C8EC80B8-052F-4374-A0B6-B09460921A45.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 67
  • B66BD2CE-B845-4468-8B20-816ACF6C2C43.jpeg
    B66BD2CE-B845-4468-8B20-816ACF6C2C43.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 36B9BC8A-036E-49AF-B107-6DE410A86853.jpeg
    36B9BC8A-036E-49AF-B107-6DE410A86853.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried lifting the liner in the old part of the pond so I could join the new part but even with it semi drained I still couldn’t lift it high enough to get a straight line, it was more a semi circle joining a straight line, but hey no leaks the join on the LHS is not as high as I wanted, so the water height is limited .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Frankie...We added on to our pond 22 years ago... We made it level with the existing pond
so that the fish would have an expanded swim area. After we dug the hole for the new pond,
we dropped the water in the existing pond about 18” this way the fish could stay in the water
while we were bonding the two liners together.
It’s hard to explain without pictures, but we attached the two lines only at a section that is
about 3 feet wide...

If you’re interested in how we did it, I’ll try and give you as much guidance as I can...
Also, think about making it level with the existing pond for extra room for the fish...

Please provide a pic of your pond, it would help in design ideas.
Hi I have a pond that is about 8 years old. The guy who built it cut the liner too small and the liner edge is close ti water line. I bought seam tape kit but wasnt sure how to do with the water in pond. I know I have to lower water level but wonder if you could suggest how to seam a seperate piece of liner along edge that is about 3 to 5 inches near water? It is pretty staight edge. I know i will have to use a board to work on. Any suggestions to make it go easier?

Ad

Advertisements

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Pats pond you are better off starting your own thread for a question like this.

Anyhow, there is a stickier thread at the top of the pond construction forum by @GBBUDD on how to seam liners together. Step by step, with attached videos

Having just seamed two liners together this past spring myself,, you are going to need to lower the water level in your pond so it is much lower than 3-5 inches below your work area or unless you have a foot of extra liner above that area. You want to be able to clean the old liner using gasoline, to get it like new and you obviously don’t want that gas getting in the pond or getting the liner wet while you are seaming.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe i left out of the sticky about trying to hold back water . Like @Jhn said you want the wstrr level lower then your work area but also be careful if you take out the soils behind the liner the weight a pteszire adds up very quickly and its very easy to get hurt trying to hold back thewater

Ask a Question