Expensive pebble

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Owner pays $500 to have pebble removed from the throat of her 1 year old goldfish.
$100 for emergency consultation
$400 for anesthetic and overnight hospital stay

https://www.rt.com/news/358961-gold-fish-owner-surgery/

Mitch I would have anethatized the fish for free then removed the pebble for nothing how they have the cheek to ask that much just because they are vets I dont know its disgusting to say the very least .
It doesnt take much to put together a first aid kit so why fork out such an extortionate amount of money its not a hard operation to do it takes about 10 mins tops
Talk about a ripp off

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm torn with the costs of seemingly simple medical procedures.
The operation seems simple to those of us with a bit of knowledge, but having run a medical office in the past, I know full well the costs of running one. Equipment, trained staff, supplies, rent, permits and the costs required to maintain regulated standards is very costly. You have to have a set rate of fees to cover costs and make a profit.
It's a tough call and I'll never fault anyone for spending money on the health of their pet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this as well

That is one reason it is recommended not to have gravel for substrate in a fancy goldfish tank (the fish in this case was a cute lil ranchu)

It would be nice to have more veterinary offices that are able to treat fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No comment.......and not judging, but.......

Except that seems like $500 is a high price for that vet to charge! The only thing the vet was out was the few minutes of time out of his/her schedule. IOW, a few drops of clove oil [though I'm sure they used something different from clove oil], tub of conditioned water, air pump, pair of forceps.....and the expertise of the vet. And that cost $500? I just had a cat put under general anesthesia for an exam of his throat and nasal passages, AND an X-ray of his sinuses, PLUS an overnight stay -- for less than $500. And I thought what we paid was high, but reasonable for what was done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Keep in mind that prices will be relative to the area.
This was a clinic in Australia. It may be a reasonable price for there.
For example, I don't know what dental hygienists are paid in the US, but our top hygienists in Calgary were billing us $90/hour. We paid that because that was the going rate.
If a patient cancels, we still have to pay them.
Also, you don't want your exam rooms filled with people that are not going to bring in much revenue. That's a recipe for going out of business.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My dental hygienist charges my insurance company 35 dollars and to get a tooth taken out it is 65 dollars and dental office visit is 45 dollars ,thankfully my insurance pays every thing .Now to take my dogs to the vet ,chihuahuas are 25 dollars for small dogs and when king arthur was alive it was 35 for him because of multi dog discount .To register dogs it is 5 dollars and rabies shot is free because they are all rescue dogs and you don't have to pay as long as the vet has them listed as rescues .
.To get them fixed it was 40 dollars each ,all males /50 dollars for females

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm torn with the costs of seemingly simple medical procedures.
The operation seems simple to those of us with a bit of knowledge, but having run a medical office in the past, I know full well the costs of running one. Equipment, trained staff, supplies, rent, permits and the costs required to maintain regulated standards is very costly. You have to have a set rate of fees to cover costs and make a profit.
It's a tough call and I'll never fault anyone for spending money on the health of their pet.
Neither do I in reality Mitch bu once you've been taught this proceedure its so very simple to do all you need is teezers and some MS222 and or 5ml of clove oil and five minutes later to gently release the fish and the jobs done cost next to nothing .
I saw this as well

That is one reason it is recommended not to have gravel for substrate in a fancy goldfish tank (the fish in this case was a cute lil ranchu)

It would be nice to have more veterinary offices that are able to treat fish.

I agree Maria a very good reason not to have grevel in the bottom of the pond especially with koi who grub away all the time with their downwards pointing mouth.

Dave

Ask a Question