Fast food one year later

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you do know that carbs are not the enemy...fast carbs are..sugars, flours, potatoes, etc... slow carbs that are nutrient rich are the way to go. flour and starches like potatoes are metabolized as sugars. theyre also dead calories. no real nutritional value. you want to lose fat? eating alot of mushrooms can help alot...they contain angiogenesis inhibitors..these slow and can even stop the growth of blood vessels in fatty tissues and even tumors. essentially starving out new growth.
on the plus side for McDonalds...they have publicly announced that they have pulled the pink slurry beef content from their meats.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll take any info you can give me koiguy, Bullfrog or anyone to lose weight and stay fit and healthy. Any kind of mushrooms? And raw or cooked? You got any other tips for those good slow carbs? Must be all veggies I assume? I try to get out and walk about 6 miles a day.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmm, lets see John how far exactly is Ontario from Washington? Keep looking up cuz the moon is getting closer to being your home
maninmoon76.gif

rocketship.gif
tongue8.gif

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
jw...did you watch the videos (links) i posted in GOOD FOOD FOR GREAT HEALTH.. POST #3? watch and take notes!! they are in order. 4 parts... Dr joel Furhman.

Reaction score
It is nasty how the burgers & fries do not change... however many state that cooking a burger at home would do the same, not that I am about to try it.

Kinda sad & funny.... I have a few food allergies (plus numerous other allergies) with Wheat, Yeast, Soy & Whey being my biggest no-no's. I thought for the longest time that McDonald's had soy burgers so I stayed away, when I needed fast food Wendy's is where I went & every time I had a reaction. Then a few years ago I did a little research & they are actually beef.... eat there way to much since it's the only fast food place that I don't have a reaction.

Most pre packaged fried have wheat on them.... McDonald's also treats their fries with not just Wheat but also Milk (Whey) to keep them from turning brown. Since all other resteraunts use vegitable oil for cooking (SOY) I was quite relieved that they use peanut oil at McDonald's. I get a small reaction when I eat their fries.... nothing to bad so I deal with it.

My wife has Cilliac..... looks like her 3 kids will have it as well.... what a great household we have :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My grandson let out the biggest gasp when we drove by McDonalds and it was no longer there. They tore it down to build a more up to date one. It's hard to cook a home cooked meal when both parents work and the kids are in sports. It's just easier to go through a fast food place.

Viggen, I bet grocery shopping is a real chore in your household ..lol

Reaction score
a chore isn't the word....expensive is. The awareness of Cilliac/Gluten Free stuff has really grown but it's not fun paying $5-7 for a bag of rice noodles for pasta or $12 for 4 cup cakes....

Totaly agree about how difficult it is to cook food, we have 3 kids in select soccer plus I play 2x's a week (my 40+ league game was last night). Chipotle & a few others burrito stores like that I can't eat due to their heavy use of soy. I am also allergic to some peppers.... black mostly.... & chilli powder....

Reaction score
This is absolutely false. I DID try the experiment at home with a McDonalds cheeseburger and a "made at home" fresh burger and a Sara Lee hamburger bun. The bun on the home made burger dried out and molded underneith petty quickly. There was mold and crawlies on the hamburger under the bun. Nothing ever happened to the Mcdonalds burger other than the bun and meat drying out.

however many state that cooking a burger at home would do the same, not that I am about to try it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
jw...did you watch the videos (links) i posted in GOOD FOOD FOR GREAT HEALTH.. POST #3? watch and take notes!! they are in order. 4 parts... Dr joel Furhman.

I will look at those, thanks koiguy. Copied and sent them to myself in an email but haven't read them yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I looked on the net and found this ....

Why don't McDonald's hamburgers decompose?

So why don't fast food burgers and fries decompose in the first place? The knee-jerk answer is often thought to be, "Well they must be made with so many chemicals that even mold won't eat them." While that's part of the answer, it's not the whole story.

The truth is many processed foods don't decompose and won't be eaten by molds, insects or even rodents. Try leaving a tub of margarine outside in your yard and see if anything bothers to eat it. You'll find that the margarine stays seems immortal, too!

Potato chips can last for decades. Frozen pizzas are remarkably resistant to decomposition. And you know those processed Christmas sausages and meats sold around the holiday season? You can keep them for years and they'll never rot.

With meats, the primary reason why they don't decompose is their high sodium content. Salt is a great preservative, as early humans have known for thousands of years. McDonald's meat patties are absolutely loaded with sodium -- so much so that they qualify as "preserved" meat, not even counting the chemicals you might find in the meat.

To me, there's not much mystery about the meat not decomposing. The real question in my mind is why don't the buns mold? That's the really scary part, since healthy bread begins to mold within days. What could possibly be in McDonald's hamburger buns that would ward off microscopic life for more than two decades?

As it turns out, unless you're a chemist you probably can't even read the ingredients list out loud. Here's what McDonald's own website says you'll find in their buns:

Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, enzymes), water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, yeast, soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, wheat gluten, ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, datem, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated monoglycerides, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, guar gum, calcium peroxide, soy flour), calcium propionate and sodium propionate (preservatives), soy lecithin.

Great stuff, huh? You gotta especially love the HFCS (diabetes, anyone?), partially-hydrogenated soybean oil (anybody want heart disease?) and the long list of chemicals such as ammonium sulfate and sodium proprionate. Yum. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Now here's the truly shocking part about all this: In my estimation, the reason nothing will eat a McDonald's hamburger bun (except a human) is because it's not food!

No normal animal will perceive a McDonald's hamburger bun as food, and as it turns out, neither will bacteria or fungi. To their senses, it's just not edible stuff. That's why these bionic burger buns just won't decompose.

Reaction score
This is absolutely false. I DID try the experiment at home with a McDonalds cheeseburger and a "made at home" fresh burger and a Sara Lee hamburger bun. The bun on the home made burger dried out and molded underneith petty quickly. There was mold and crawlies on the hamburger under the bun. Nothing ever happened to the Mcdonalds burger other than the bun and meat drying out.

Did you try it w/o the bun? Like stated the McDonald's bun is treated/process/whatever in a way that it won't get all green & nasty, doesn't affect me since I am allerfic to the buns...... Totally weird that their buns do not mold.... I mean how many times do we find a loaf of bread tucked away someone in our cabnets & it's all green/blue......

With the meat I wonder if it has some of the pink slime it it, whatever that's made of.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
extremely glad I have been a vegetarian all my life .Since I never ate it or any meat for that matter does not effect me very much .I do love to bake my own bread and just love that smell .One thing I always knew if I baked bread my kids could smell it and come running and knew right where they were at that point .Made some for my company and they could not believe that something like that could wake them up from a sound sleep .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pink slime is the usually contaminated " not fit for consumption" scraps left fron the animal processing. this is ground up and soaked in an ammonia solution to kill any bacteria and such. the FDA made it legal to contain up to 15% of this slop in beef products like burger...fast food is notorious for using this disgusting slop... it is also found in prepackaged ground beef...want burger?..have it ground fresh!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I heard that on the news and it amazed me and that they are feeding it to children in schools also .Was that some kind of secret they did not tell people for years or did people just find out ? I had never heard of it before it hit the news .Thats really disgusting ,actually sickening .

Ask a Question