IMAG0655.jpg

And red or pink yarrow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh jw how did you get your clematis to grow like that!! I have one and it's puny compaired to yours and I even added lime to it ...and my azalea was froze this spring and wont bloom...(and it did in march but then got cold again)

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
j.w said:
Oh, very pretty roses and I bet they small good too. Love the color :yikesu:

Thanks, J.W.! That is Westerland, a Kordes rose. They are bred in Germany so they can take the cold temps we get in my high elevation gardens. I have one on each side of the pergola DH built. they smell sooooo divine! But one caveat - they have wicked, long thorns! I have to hack back the canes on the inside where we walk several times in the summer. Gotta make sure the UPS guy can deliver my pond goodies. :lol:

As a garden addict, too, I'm loving all these pics! smcox1, the russian sage is gorgeous next to your pond. Really nice pond, too! I am going to trying moving mine to the pond area.

Another good purple flowering plant with similar care requirements is Walker's Low nepeta. It's one of the few mints that doesn't spread like wildfire. Gets big over time and usually needs cutting back mid summer, but it is soon blooming again. I tried to post a pic but am getting a server error. Will try again later.

Reaction score
pinon ponder said:
As a garden addict, too, I'm loving all these pics! smcox1, the russian sage is gorgeous next to your pond. Really nice pond, too! I am going to trying moving mine to the pond area.

Thank-you when I first planted the Russian sage it didn't look like it was going to make it then a month later it got all the little purple flowers and is doing really well now

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
rebelangel_3733 said:
oh jw how did you get your clematis to grow like that!! I have one and it's puny compaired to yours and I even added lime to it ...and my azalea was froze this spring and wont bloom...(and it did in march but then got cold again)

Clematis love Alfalfa meal. I buy it at the co-op in big bags and sprinkle a handful around the base and scratch it in the soil in the Fall and early Spring. Actually I haven't done it in a few yrs but I should. You can buy it as pellets and if you get it like that then you have to make a sluck out of it w/ water and mix it in the soil that way. Just make sure it's not the kind w/ minerals in it for rabbits. They also like a little epsom salt sprinkled on top of the soil and watered in. I have to tie it up w/ twine to get it to stay up. I've seen them growing on the ground or over a ledge sprawling downward and they look kinda neat that way too if you have the room. That one that is light purple is a dwarf and only gets about 5ft tall and really bushy. It's called Cezanne Clematis and says on the tag large sky blue flowers but looks like light purple to me. I cut it down to about 6" to a foot every Spring (late March or early April)and it grows back like mad! It's really made for use in containers and will stay smaller (3ft) in one but mine is in the ground so gets taller.

pinon ponder

Reaction score
quote=smcox1;83588]Thank-you when I first planted the Russian sage it didn't look like it was going to make it then a month later it got all the little purple flowers and is doing really well now[/quote]

Mine did the same thing. I almost threw it on the compost pile. Glad I didn't. Where are you in Colorado? Been there several times and love it. Even though I'm in So.Cal, my weather is often similar to Denver, so I've been told. We are at a 5000' elevation with frequent snow in winter and cold for several months. Usually in the teens and 20s at night by late Jan.and straight into May with a few warm spells. Wreaks havoc on the fruit trees. Not that I get much fruit after the CA. ground squirrels, aka rats with furry tails, make off with most of it. :lol:

Here is the Walker's Low nepeta. A really tough plant, drought tolerant once established. Can be divided, too. I started with three plants and now have eight. Click on the image to enlarge it.

View attachment 7325

Diana

Attachments

• s low.jpg
    s low.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 214
Reaction score
I'm from Durango Colorado its a big tourist town. The weather here is like that this year we had snow showers in May I had my tomato plants planted outside and we were still getting snow it was a very strange year for the weather. Is the walkers low nepeta also called cat mint?

pinon ponder

Reaction score
Yes, nepeta is catmint. My cats sometimes rub against it but not like they do with the more common catnip. And like I mentioned, it doesn't spread much, unlike most mints that will take over your garden. Snow and cold doesn't faze it. It will die back in winter but doesn't disappear like many perennials.

Love Durango! Looking forward to visiting the area again and ziplining. :boldblue:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
pinon ponder said:
Yes, nepeta is catmint. My cats sometimes rub against it but not like they do with the more common catnip. And like I mentioned, it doesn't spread much, unlike most mints that will take over your garden. Snow and cold doesn't faze it. It will die back in winter but doesn't disappear like many perennials.

Love Durango! Looking forward to visiting the area again and ziplining. :boldblue:

My catnip spread really bad, after 4 years still pulling it out and spraying it. I did like it but it just went everywhere for me, between my pavers in my walkway etc.

Reaction score
Here cat mint spreads like crazy u can plant it on one side of a 60' bed and before you know it its on the other side and it will grow in-between stacked rocks it gets crazy here in durango. We have a new ziplining place here in durango that was put this year its called full blast adventure center I believe

pinon ponder

Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
My catnip spread really bad, after 4 years still pulling it out and spraying it. I did like it but it just went everywhere for me, between my pavers in my walkway etc.

I bet it did! Those underground rhizomes probably evolved before the dinosaurs. Try the Walker's Low if you can find it. It will stay put, I promise.

Another one to be wary of is garlic chives. Pretty plants with long strappy leaves like an agapantha but if it goes to seed after flowering it will come up everywhere there is ample water. Not bad in a dry spot, though.

I have some mint growing in the bio filter. I am watching it closely. As soon as I see it flowering it's getting a major scalping. :boldblue:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pinon ponder said:
I bet it did! Those underground rhizomes probably evolved before the dinosaurs. Try the Walker's Low if you can find it. It will stay put, I promise.

Another one to be wary of is garlic chives. Pretty plants with long strappy leaves like an agapantha but if it goes to seed after flowering it will come up everywhere there is ample water. Not bad in a dry spot, though.

I have some mint growing in the bio filter. I am watching it closely. As soon as I see it flowering it's getting a major scalping. :boldblue:

does the mint seed? I have a small batch, contained, that is flowering.

Ask a Question