Fellow Michiganders, a question for you all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It looks like it'll be warming up to high 60's and low 70's soon (this week and next), and mid 70's in early June with some 80's. When would you guys recommend I get to planting new things, like lillies and bog plants? How about adding water hyacinth and hornwort?

Thanks!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It looks like it'll be warming up to high 60's and low 70's soon (this week and next), and mid 70's in early June with some 80's. When would you guys recommend I get to planting new things, like lillies and bog plants? How about adding water hyacinth and hornwort?

Thanks!

I'm in Wisconsin, so generally the same weather.

I've been planting since early April. Hardy perennials can be planted really early in the season, basically as soon as planting is physically possible. Annuals like water hyacinth should be safe to add around now, but I know personally we have a frost warning for tonight. Forecast looks great the rest of the week, and I'd be pretty surprised to see anything too cold toward the end of the month. I don't buy water hyacinth anymore since it's banned due to invasiveness, but I usually waited until mid to late May when I did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pretty much what JB said; I've put out my over-wintered plants early before and they didn't like the temp change, so now I tend to wait until almost June. I did put out some water lettuce, more as sacrifical plants for the fish. The frost we had last week did in some but there are some still alive. Hyacinth definitely would rather have warmer water. I'd say by the third week of May should work. Again, watch for any temps below 40 as the annual types don't do well then. I put out my taro and papyrus late May. I have some parrot's feather struggling but alive in the pond. The pennywort is doing okay.

So, very soon but I'd wait at least a week or so, if I were buying anything or bringing up overwintered plants. And, if you are overwintering, they really need to be hardened off by being protected from the sun for a week or so, then gradually allowing full sun. I've lost more plants (not lost but leaves were definitely sun burned) this way. I generally put them in buckets on the east side for morning sun then gradually work them into a southern exposure.

Ask a Question