Filter dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just rebuilding and enlarging my koi pond and will hopefully create a more natural-looking water feature at the same time. My problem is that the only type of filter that appear to allow me to ‘hide’ them and still feed via the waterfall, is a pressurised filter. The largest of these appears to be the Oase Filtoclear 31000, but if I use my newly purchased Blagdon DC fed pump (low wattage and with a maximum flow rate of 12000 litres/hour) I am not sure I will end up with a clear pond!

I am wondering if my aim of creating a low energy system that allows a natural looking water feature AND a clear pond, is possible. Any advice welcomed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sounds like that pump would be underpowered for your filter. Perhaps you could run it to a smaller filter and get a larger one for the Oase Filtco 31000? You can never have too much filtration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not enough information , ok so you have a pump thats 12000 liters an hour ........ so how many gallons is the pond and bog.

i'm pushing approximately 4.000 to 5000 gph to my matrix bog 20' x8'x 6' this was it's birrth its a three foot water fall from my recently remodeled bog

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Since you are enlarging your pond, forget store bought filters and build a bog filter.

They work better, are almost zero maintenance and meet your need to have the filter hidden. The bog will just look like a garden once all the plants mature.

With a pressure filter you're not guaranteed to have clear water, but if you build and size the bog correctly, you will have a natural filter and you won't be cleaning filter pads every week or so. Plus you'll have a great place to grow plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
+1 on the bog bandwagon. I came here before I built my pond and everyone said to go "full bog". Did that and it has been 100% clear water. There has been some string algae but I have recently doubled (tripled?) the size of the bog to combat that. I recommend that if your pond is in sun during the day you make a bigger bog rather than a smaller bog. It's definitely the way to go though, and the bog(s) look great.

Ask a Question