Filter/pump house.....trying to iron out the wrinkles

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

This is my first post here. Great forum!

I am building a rather large pond w/ stream-y falls. The shape is irregular and our original calculation of 10,000 gals may have been a little high. Right now it is looking like it may be closer to 7,000, but that remains to be seen.

So I am in the home stretch of my pond building odyssey. Design and hole were done ages ago......finally got liner last week and DH and I rolled it in last Friday. It was a 25'x50'....wow! What a job that was. Our first attempt went terribly wrong, but we nailed the second try and it was actually a piece of cake in the end. The next morning I had approx. 4000 gal of water brought to fill the pond up most of the way so we could work the wrinkles out of the liner and basically set it in place so I could begin work on the edges as well as the filter pit.

So I've been back and forth on my filtration design and am finally pretty set on this.....

Instead of my original filter pit.....I have decided to build a filter/pump house. My hubs is a mason, so the plan is to pour an approx. 10'x10' concrete pad, then block the filter chambers and line them with the extra 45 mil liner that is left over. The filter side of the pump house will basically be underground so the piping will be protected from the cold. The exterior and roof of the pump house will be completed later.....we just want to get the chambers done so we can get this thing up and running.

I'm thinking 5 separate chambers that are 2'x2'x2' square. That would be approx. 60 gals each. The first would be settlement, next 3 would each be mechanical, and the last would be for my pumps (I have 2 submersible Laguna Max Flo 4200's). We are thinking of building the succession of chambers to work like an upflow then overflow system (not sure what the exact term is?). The water would overflow into the next chamber then some type of baffle to direct the water downward where it will then flow up through the filtration media, then overflow into the next, etc.

The pumps will send the water out of the pump house and one will go to my Biofalls container at the top of the stream.......and the other will go to various things (I have several spitters, a UV, etc.)

Each chamber will have a drain valve at the bottom.

Oh, and the water getting pumped from the pond will travel through my AquaArt retro drain (4"), and 4" pvc exiting the pond through the side of the liner, to the pump house.

The chambers will be the same level as the pond.

The pump house will be located approx. 25' from the pond, and the Biofalls is probably about that same distance from the pump house.

I hope that wasn't confusing. Is there anything with this design that jumps out at you as a mistake?

I want to have this up and running by the end of the weekend so I really have to get this figured out today. I will post a pic of the area in a few minutes. :yikesu:

I am kinda' sorta' in a hurry to finish this......it is located at our new home and we have fish to move from our current home. The home building / pond building has all been a 4+ year, total DIY project and we are at the point where we NEED to get our current home up for sale. So we are scrambling to finish the pond so we can get the fish into their new home.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Sorry for my preschool doodles....i'm kind of in a hurry this morn :)

pondoutline.jpg

100_9998rough.jpg

Reaction score
Also wanted to add that there is an approx 100 gal "hyacinth pond" just after the biofalls......then the stream runs down and spills into the area that is approx 1 1/2' deep just before main body of pond.....that shallow area will be filled with plants and the fish will be blocked from accessing that area. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If your going through the liner with a bottom drain I would not use a AquaArt retro drain I'd use a standard bottom drain and for a pond that large I'd go with at least two,
You would be happier if you could make your filtration gravity fed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply....

It will be a gravity system.....I know its hard to tell by my pics.
I already have the AquaArt drain.....we decided against the regular drain because there are too many pipes under the pond already for house drainage, etc., and we didn't want to hit anything when digging.
I will add another retro if needed.
The pond is now almost full......these are older pics from a few weeks ago.

Reaction score
I could probably talk DH into climbing up there tomorrow evening to do it, but he may not make it home before dark.

So does anything jump out at you or sound frightening?

Ask a Question