Filtration for 700gal pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is there any other ways to protect koi from predators

A net is the guaranteed way - and even then some creatures find their way around or under the net. Some people string fishing line across the pond to keep the birds from being able to enter the pond, but they will find their way around it. They are patient, persistent, aggressive hunters. And once they have found your pond, they have you on their GPS. They will keep returning.

Post a picture of your net and some of the folks here who net their ponds permanently can share ideas for improving the aesthetics.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a wide weave fishing gill net. Hung 3 feet +/- over the water, black, it is seeable but not as bothersome as a small weave net. It also does not trap small birds, frogs, dragon flies etc, The heron and I are on peaceful terms now the net keeps them out of the pond with the fish, they are welcome to catch frogs or whatever they want to try to catch in the non netted ponds.

I had a small weave net, removed it after finding two small dead trapped birds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not shure how to post photos because im using my iPhone for this form

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can string fishing line over the pond or do like colleen and hang moving items over the pond for predators from the sky but ground predators are harder .If they are wanting something they will get it .I found that out because a neighbor has cats and he got one of my fish finally .We have been getting a lot of rain which raised the water level and made it easier for the cat to get the fish .Mine all hand feed and nice to watch but makes a fish easier to get too

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You can have a couple of koi in that pond.... I wouldn't push more else you will be fighting algae constantly.

I would use the ten biostep filter with waterfall. I would make sure I have a bog with surface area 1/3 of my pond so I don't have to keep doing water changes to keep the pond clean.

You have to net the pond.. end of story... Once a heron spotted it, it's game over unless it gets netted. I don't know why those birds are protected, they sure as heck have no problems being every where.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have ordered a 3000g pump and am planning on using one of them tubs to fill with filter media. I will upgrade the pond as the koi get bigger. Is there any other ways to protect koi from predators as the net makes my pond look abit ugly
great , if u can create filter/bog from liner or bury the container 1/3 underground thats better bcz it looks ugly

i have seen many ways to fight heron like electric fencing , water jet , but after research and what people shared there stories i found that none of them are 100% workable except the net

forgot to mention ...add more plants as possible for balanced echosystem and hiding places

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I use a wide weave fishing gill net. Hung 3 feet +/- over the water, black, it is seeable but not as bothersome as a small weave net. It also does not trap small birds, frogs, dragon flies etc, The heron and I are on peaceful terms now the net keeps them out of the pond with the fish, they are welcome to catch frogs or whatever they want to try to catch in the non netted ponds.

I had a small weave net, removed it after finding two small dead trapped birds.
thats great atlast peace between u and heron , do u have net made of fishing line ? i was thinking it must b more invisible then the thread since its translucent . and have u tried making a dome , does it help in viewing fish more? like having vertical on sides instead of horizontal which cud obstruct view .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have seen many ways to fight heron like electric fencing , water jet , but after research and what people shared there stories i found that none of them are 100% workable except the net

I fought the herons for 3 years before I put in the wide weave net, tried everything only the net finally stopped them.
thats great atlast peace between u and heron , do u have net made of fishing line ? i was thinking it must b more invisible then the thread since its translucent . and have u tried making a dome , does it help in viewing fish more? like having vertical on sides instead of horizontal which cud obstruct view .

The net is from http://www.memphisnet.net/product/4772/netting-seine-knotted-15 I had it covered with black anti uv stuff, makes it not real seeable.

I tried fishing line, around the pond and over the pond, the heron went through it.

This is what the net looks like via my cams, not a horrible look nothing stopped but the herons. The cable you can see is my anti snow cable that I still have not gotten around to remove for the summer, it does not really bother me.
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got the same type of netting here because of hawks. This morning I had a hawk perched near the pond but hunting something in the opposite direction. Paid no attention to fish!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got the same type of netting here because of hawks. This morning I had a hawk perched near the pond but hunting something in the opposite direction. Paid no attention to fish!
Hawks hang out all of the time in the maple, on the cams, on the posts, on the fence, they have never bothered the pond..............except the one time that crazy hawk went after a red lily leaf! Went right through the net, got to shore and was just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have ordered a 3000g pump and am planning on using one of them tubs to fill with filter media. I will upgrade the pond as the koi get bigger. Is there any other ways to protect koi from predators as the net makes my pond look abit ugly
if u can have some thing like this net above head height covering the whole segment see at 7:45

Ask a Question