Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
wow, I hadn't considered that
I was just planning to lay on the liner the ground but was planning to lay down some old blankets to prevent punctures. This will be a relatively small pond, adding blocks to the side will require digging significantly more. Maybe concrete is better idea in my case, should I also be reinforcing the bottom as well?

Reinforcing is insurance against wall collapse. Not needed for the bottom (floor) of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reinforcing is insurance against wall collapse. Not needed for the bottom (floor) of the pond.
this these from home depot should work, only 4" thick compared to the normal 8"
Probably going this route for security, even though my ground is all clay and shale rubble

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not always true my sides are straight down and above ground over 2 feet and blocks are just packed with my clay soil and some rebar and has worked that way for years and even when I had to take the pond apart .Above ground I have an outside row of retaining wall block above ground.So mine has a wall with in a wall .you can see it in the showcase .Been like this since 2006

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
not always true my sides are straight down and above ground over 2 feet and blocks are just packed with my clay soil and some rebar and has worked that way for years and even when I had to take the pond apart .Above ground I have an outside row of retaining wall block above ground.So mine has a wall with in a wall .you can see it in the showcase .Been like this since 2006

From your comment above, your blocks are reinforced with rebar and packed soil. What are you claiming is not true?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only have rebar in the corners as I was not sure but they are 3 block high with 2 top blocks that were solid concrete and nothing holds them in place and they are each 4 inch's thick by 16 long .I don't even have dirt against them .The block has rock between the retaining wall block and concrete block .I was told it would not hold but it has even when we had the earthquake .My soils was clay but that was all done right after the house was back filled so some of the dirt was back fill dirt .My sides of the pond are straight down and my bridge is even supported and you can walk on it .I got my retaining wall block from lowes the lip on the back is bigger .

Reaction score
Country
United States
looked at my layout again and thinking to have it flushed against the deck with the waterfall on one side instead of center like the photos, thoughts?
DSCF0051.jpg

b5bd2630ed45ac4a5d81e24b12da57c1.jpg

I liked it.
It looks beautiful.
Private ponds in a home can be a great way to add function, as well as scenic beauty, to our property. Having ponds at home has always been a shelter for beautiful fish, as they provide a sanctuary of breeding for homegrown wildlife in our home. Recently, I had built up a small pond in my house. I had hired a professional who can guide me to build up my pond. As the professional contractor had first dug a good hole, then they had laid a liner over the hole, installed a pump for water feature and then on the recommendation of my friend I had hired a Long Island paving and masonry contractors to install a masonry pavers around the pond which had made my pond looks more beautiful.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
question: is it better for the sides to be straight down or a in a small incline? A small incline makes the bottom narrower, but seems more natural than a straight well like drop
Support of straight walls in the ground depends a lot on your dirt. I have straight walls, 5 foot deep, but our dirt is full of shale, rocks, clay so it is hard. I had to use a tractor to dig it out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
there is 6 inch's of space between the block an the retaining wall block .Like addy said rock hard clay but mine was easier since part of that was back fill dirt that was left over from the basement build .So the first part of digging was easy until I remembered that it was dirt from construction .I have rebar only in each corner .I don't have the pics anymore since my old puter died and pics were all lost .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do the retaining wall block you want to use have pins or a lip ,if not they may need mortared like said ,I have heard of people gluing but not sure how long that will last .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
some more slow progress,but since I've redesigned it to be rectangular now and with a bog filter, there's a bit more digging. this weekend, I'll need to start getting the cinderblocks, need about 150, so considering a delivery from HD. Going to rain here for a few days, which will soften up the ground and help with the digging. Targeting to be done with the manual excavation this weekend
WP_20170511_18_46_25_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
also going to order the liners this weekend
was planning to use Pondliners.com but then the shipping calc was pretty high

Seems like I can get a better price at Dr Fosters and Smith with free ship. Any other places I should consider?

Ask a Question