sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best I can do showing it .I could not pull the liner all the way up in 3rd pic to show all the block plus it is raining out .I run the power cords in the opening but had to take the pipe wrap off them to show this much .Last pic is the board that is screwd to the top board to keep the liner from being exposed where the marble rocks are .4 th pic is the liner back over the concrete block .
101_0519.JPG
101_0521.JPG
101_0529.JPG
101_0530.JPG
101_0531.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
day off today as mother nature is filling my pit. Will be a few days till I drains. I'm going to relocate some plants and start prototyping the concrete blocks.
WP_20170513_15_55_28_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
and the water is green and the koi are huge in your pics and we want clear unhealthy water to make our fish sick ,Makes you wonder
yes i agree , i want green unclear water but i cant achieve it lol im serious , even my fish are more alert in clear water not at peace

ihv seen very clear ponds in china too but i think this is too large to filter properly and may have rain that can make mudponds murky

i think same rule for fish farming they dont add fishes until the water is full of food ,greenish brown rich

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
wow, I hadn't considered that
I was just planning to lay on the liner the ground but was planning to lay down some old blankets to prevent punctures. This will be a relatively small pond, adding blocks to the side will require digging significantly more. Maybe concrete is better idea in my case, should I also be reinforcing the bottom as well?
ithink too that it depends on soil type u will not need to cement all the walls , if ur going 4 ft steep its better u have a concrete with steel bars or cemented brick ring that will work as shelf , u will need one shelf atleast
dig a 8x12 inch trench where ur having its border just below water level , then place an iron or steel ring then pour concrete in that trench , then dig the inner circle deeper so that ring anchors ur linner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
relocated plants in the way and prototyping the concrete blocks. Trying to see if the 6x8x16 blocks can be stacked correctly. I tried the 8" ones at HD and it seemed oversized.

having some trouble figuring out how to in corporate the fiberglass waterfall kit to the bog
WP_20170514_16_55_03_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
while I'm ordering some supplies what will I need to get the pond started?
I have the basics for the garage setup but will need a lot more dechlorinator and water conditioner
What else should I stock pile and have ready at hand?

Already have the pump, filter, etc

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
aerator may help .Quilt batting and a crate to filter the dirty water at first .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
electrical supplies , circuit breaker and wiring , outdoor plug , piping for filter and waterfall hmm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
electrical supplies , circuit breaker and wiring , outdoor plug , piping for filter and waterfall hmm
luckily I'm all set with those, have gcfi outlets I've been meaning to install for years, thanks for the reminder

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
the rain and water has subsided and can now resume digging
one thing I realized while prototyping was that I didn't like how the waterfall and bog filter looked together. So I'm going to have the primary waterfall on the side which also allows for better viewing. I'll instead have a cascading fall coming off the big. What size pump should I get for the waterfall alone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm lucky to live on the top of a mountain (Watchungs) with lots of wildlife and my home backs to woods. We have lots of predators like foxes, coyotes, hawks and even the dreaded blue heron. My neighbors have had their ponds cleaned out by the herons and some have given up on ponding because of this. What's the best deterrent for these predators? I've seen the floating nets and canopies and some use the fishing line technique. I really want something almost foolproof and if I need to consider it in my design, I'd like to incorporate it now. I'd like to have plants in the pond, which makes the floating net hard to incorporate. The netted canopy seems like the more ideal but also the most time consuming to make.

heronwithgoldfish_tcm9-55320.jpg

Ask a Question