First Pond Have Questions

Reaction score
I will try to be brief but specific.
What hardware do you suggest?

We are in the process of building our first pond. We want to make sure we do it right the first time. I completed the digging phase last night. Before we get to the liner we want to figure out what hardware we need for proper circulation and filtration. The specs of the pond are as follows:
8' wide X 9' long main pond
2' deep to 3' deep flats connected with a slope.
We will have a 3' by 3' bog area that will fall into main pond.
We will have a waterfall that will feed bog area.
The height from the top waterfall to the bog area will be approximately 3' the bog area will dump another 18" into the main pond. We have the bog area and main pond built we plan on building our own top fall (have not decided exactly how).

Any suggestions on Hardware?
Also will take any suggestions on building the top fall.

Oh yeah. The pond will house vegetation and possibly some fish and such.

Thanks in advance for all your expertise.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Your best bet is to search around and see how others have done it. Every pond is unique and yours will be different than any other as well. Then when you have a specific question we can better help you.
I will say that the shallow area with flats are where the GBH and Raccoons will stand to fish in your pond. Steep, deep sides are better.
I use Beckett pumps from Home Depot and a home made 55 gallon bio filter.

Reaction score
I have spent the last two days searching as much info on the forum as I can (as suggested). I am sold on the skippy filter idea and will begin researching this more to get plans that I can follow. I believe a 55gal system will work for my pond size. Of course I may be wrong so if I am please chime in.

I am still confused as to what size pump I should use. From all the reading I have done I would prefer to use one pump that will feed water to the skippy filter. I will use the skippy filter as my waterfall feeding the pond. My question is I have read in different threads that you need to have a pump large enough to turn over the water once per hour. Is this a good guideline to follow? Will this be too much water coming into the skippy filter or would I need to divert some of it for circulation and then control the flow into the skippy filter? I was thinking of just teeing the outlet from the pum and put ball valves on each outlet so I can control how much is going to filter and what is just returning to pond. Am I on the right track?

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Not real worried about the GBH or Raccoons. I have the perfect solution for them. Colby Jack my dog keeps all the wildlife in check. :wink:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Beckett Model W1150 from Home Depot, 1150GPH. i take the water from the deepest part and feed it through my 55 gallon drum bio filter which overflows back to the pond. I also have a second pump just doing circulation in the pond.

As for raccoons, a CB round or 2 takes care of them.

Ask a Question