Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
If you are looking to get a turtle there are a few things to keep in mind. Most important is turtles are not all the same and require a vastly diverse range of needs and resources when kept in captivity. Most will live upwards of 15 years and maybe even 40+ years. If you have the indoor space I recommend you go with a semi-aquatic because they are much easier to care for and being a "tank" turtle you have the entire aquarium industry to supply compatible products. Box turtles are generally a bad idea for first timers and even experienced turtle keepers can have trouble providing them what they need. Box turtles are very easily stressed, need diverse diets and require a large outdoor habitat that provides them living space and security from predators. Some indoor tolerant ones are a few of the tortoises but again these are not easy to care for so basically if you want a pet turtle do not go with a box unless you are 100% certain you can afford to care for it and provide a professional to help you learn. Also never ever ever under any circumstance take a turtle from the wild. Not only is is cruel and harmful to the eco system at large, it is also very likely to be illegal so don't take that risk. As always if you have questions or need assistance the MS-ATR is always available to provide you help for no cost :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I kept thinking about turtle. But we travel often and I think turtle will need to be fed everyday or every few days?

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I kept thinking about turtle. But we travel often and I think turtle will need to be fed everyday or every few days?
Every day is best but they can get by on an every other day feeding schedule as long as its only for a few days. The only thing to note though is that they do get lonely and stressed when left alone without attention. That can be remedied though if you get a pair or more instead of just one. My rescue terrariums are very large fiberglass tanks that are about 24 Ft long and when I am in the rescue walking around the turtles will swim along trying to follow me wherever I go. They are definitely social creatures once they get to know and trust you and that's why leaving them alone can become stressful on them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I appreciate the plug for boxies! Mine have turtle-heaven, as they have their large [landscaped just for them!] outdoor habitat as well as their own watering hole [bog connected to the pond]. And I wouldn't think of keeping them any other way. Box turtles are not meant for small enclosures [such as aquarium tanks]. In nature they have their territories that they regularly patrol.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Every day is best but they can get by on an every other day feeding schedule as long as its only for a few days. The only thing to note though is that they do get lonely and stressed when left alone without attention. That can be remedied though if you get a pair or more instead of just one. My rescue terrariums are very large fiberglass tanks that are about 24 Ft long and when I am in the rescue walking around the turtles will swim along trying to follow me wherever I go. They are definitely social creatures once they get to know and trust you and that's why leaving them alone can become stressful on them.
I assume you're talking about semi-aquatic turtles here. Box turtles don't need companionship of another turtle as they are solitary and are quite happy by themselves [except when it's time for mating, of course].

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I assume you're talking about semi-aquatic turtles here. Box turtles don't need companionship of another turtle as they are solitary and are quite happy by themselves [except when it's time for mating, of course].
Yes. Semi-aquatics only. That is why I was trying to discourage people from getting a boxie as a first turtle as you well know they are super sensitive to lots of things and stress can lead to their death in some cases. In my experience box turtles are generally solitary creatures and tend to prefer it that way although it is not a bad idea to match up a mating pair together. Wish there were more people like you out there that knows how to care for boxies as well as being willing to do it. They are by far the toughest ones to get adopted out and tax the resources in the rescue (time, habitat etc.) about 5 times what a painted, map or slider would require.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I appreciate the plug for boxies! Mine have turtle-heaven, as they have their large [landscaped just for them!] outdoor habitat as well as their own watering hole [bog connected to the pond]. And I wouldn't think of keeping them any other way. Box turtles are not meant for small enclosures [such as aquarium tanks]. In nature they have their territories that they regularly patrol.
PS: That is why I recommend semi-aquatics also because of the fact that they can live in a terrarium unlike a box turtle means you have the aquarium industry at your disposal to provide tanks, filters & lights etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
one more reason I wont make a good turtle mom :( we go on weeks long vacation at least once a year and a week long vacation several times a year, not to count the long weekends. My dog has a great resort to go to, my cat stays home but he got someone to come look after him every few days. I dont feed my fish so no care there and my crayfish can eat the plants. I guess i wont have turtle after all :(

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
one more reason I wont make a good turtle mom :( we go on weeks long vacation at least once a year and a week long vacation several times a year, not to count the long weekends. My dog has a great resort to go to, my cat stays home but he got someone to come look after him every few days. I dont feed my fish so no care there and my crayfish can eat the plants. I guess i wont have turtle after all :(
Maybe you can get one when you retire someday :D or if you end up with a friend who could feed them for you while you are gone. At least you are willing to understand what they need and know that if you cant provide it you wont get one. That is a lot better than most people do and that's why the rescue stays so full because people just buy or catch turtles and never think about whether or not they can care for it. Hopefully you will be able to someday as they are awesome pets :)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
@Nepen PS: Also if you can manage to make an out doors area for the turtle such as making your pond 'turtleable' then you wont have to be around as much. They will eat plants and other stuff they cache for just such an event and that can get them by for a 4 to 6 day period although they will be rather dull and boring as they conserve their energy.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Marshall Do you have any tips on ways the average Jane or Joe could turtle-proof a typical backyard pond so they could keep a turtle or 2, but not have to worry about escape -- well, not so much do anything to the pond itself, but the area surrounding the pond? Something aesthetic yet practical & turtle escape-proof. Escape would be my main worry with semi-aquatics, since they would be pets in the same way my boxies are to me.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
@Marshall Do you have any tips on ways the average Jane or Joe could turtle-proof a typical backyard pond so they could keep a turtle or 2, but not have to worry about escape -- well, not so much do anything to the pond itself, but the area surrounding the pond? Something aesthetic yet practical & turtle escape-proof. Escape would be my main worry with semi-aquatics, since they would be pets in the same way my boxies are to me.
The task of keeping them from escaping is by far one of the toughest and depends on several variables as to how best to address it. If the area you are going to box in is not too large then any sort of fence that you can afford and looks okay will work as long as it is over 2 feet tall and goes at least 1 foot in the ground to prevent under digging. I personally recommend chain link but the cheaper and more color customization plastic variety as you can plant foliage to hide it and if you choose a dark green or black variety it will be almost invisible for the most part. I recommend you dig a 1 foot deep and 3 inch thick ditch under the fence line and fill it with cement allowing the bottom of the chain link fence to anchor into it making it seamless. To me the best route though for semi-aquatics is to just place the barrier around the pond as they only need a small space to get out and bask on and also the farther away from the pond they can venture the more vulnerable they become to predators. Here at the rescue I use good old fashioned cement block to build the barrier wall and am in the process of having an artist come in to maybe paint some murals onto it for aesthetics. Ironically though, semi-aquatics are actually better climbers than many land turtles so that is why the 2 foot min height is a must. Trust me when I say that even if they try and fail they will brainstorm without end until they try everything possible to breach the wall so if you see them try once and 'fail' that may just be trial one of many more attempts :D The cement block option is also 'modular' as you can move and rearange them to make the area bigger, smaller or change the shape over time if needed. The blocks can be stacked with out mortar if you drive a rebar shaft into the center to keep em straight as they are heavy enough that the turtle wont push them over. Also relatively cheap too and they go up very fast.

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
PS: I know this may seem crazy but, If it is easier for the potential turtle owner to go with a indoor setup then by all means do so. Semi-aquatics do very well indoors and to some degrees even better than outdoors as it is easier to control an in door environment and they only need basking space and not a lot of land/sun/natural area like boxies. Especially if it is just one or two turtles.

Ask a Question