First Time Turtle Owners Tip:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nah, he was sleeping under the ice.
In truth, I could probably go away for 6 months of the year and he'd be fine. But for now I got to hand feed him daily. :(
Mucky,
I want to see video of that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The task of keeping them from escaping is by far one of the toughest and depends on several variables as to how best to address it. If the area you are going to box in is not too large then any sort of fence that you can afford and looks okay will work as long as it is over 2 feet tall and goes at least 1 foot in the ground to prevent under digging. I personally recommend chain link but the cheaper and more color customization plastic variety as you can plant foliage to hide it and if you choose a dark green or black variety it will be almost invisible for the most part. I recommend you dig a 1 foot deep and 3 inch thick ditch under the fence line and fill it with cement allowing the bottom of the chain link fence to anchor into it making it seamless. To me the best route though for semi-aquatics is to just place the barrier around the pond as they only need a small space to get out and bask on and also the farther away from the pond they can venture the more vulnerable they become to predators. Here at the rescue I use good old fashioned cement block to build the barrier wall and am in the process of having an artist come in to maybe paint some murals onto it for aesthetics. Ironically though, semi-aquatics are actually better climbers than many land turtles so that is why the 2 foot min height is a must. Trust me when I say that even if they try and fail they will brainstorm without end until they try everything possible to breach the wall so if you see them try once and 'fail' that may just be trial one of many more attempts :D The cement block option is also 'modular' as you can move and rearange them to make the area bigger, smaller or change the shape over time if needed. The blocks can be stacked with out mortar if you drive a rebar shaft into the center to keep em straight as they are heavy enough that the turtle wont push them over. Also relatively cheap too and they go up very fast.
I'll just keep hoping wild turtle find my pond ;) But i live near a river, so they dont really have to find substitute water source.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I'll just keep hoping wild turtle find my pond ;) But i live near a river, so they dont really have to find substitute water source.
I would be willing to bet that if one found your pond he may just find the accommodations preferable to the ole river :D so who knows you may already have some stealth model turtles who are just shy or are convinced that the lady showing up to the pond is a government conspiracy worker hell bent on sending him back to the "river" lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
haha i know there were some tutles around my property since i've seen old turtle shells before we bought this place. I dont know if I'd like the ninja turtle stealth mode around my pond though, they might get chop up in little pieces by the mover if they are too stealthy! I do have a jungle just not far from my pond, so hopefully if the turtle comes it'll just go hide over there :)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
haha i know there were some tutles around my property since i've seen old turtle shells before we bought this place. I dont know if I'd like the ninja turtle stealth mode around my pond though, they might get chop up in little pieces by the mover if they are too stealthy! I do have a jungle just not far from my pond, so hopefully if the turtle comes it'll just go hide over there :)
Not a guarantee but in most cases a mower is loud enough to run off a turtle well in advance. They have very good hearing and vision and are actuallyt pretty quick if they need to be. Box turtles are a bit slow though so I always just do a walk around before I mow to check for turtles or random objects that might turn a John Deere into a soap box racer if hit lol

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I assume you meant you wanted to see a video of my turtle getting hand fed, not sleeping under the ice. ;)
The rescue turtles said they approve this video :D and said they are available 7 days a week so come by anytime to hand feed all 41 of them :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question