Fish, Fish, Fish pictures please!!!??

Reaction score
I am getting ready to pick some fishies and noticed a few pics here and there. Can ya all post your babies to show off? I loved the rock thread and this will help me out.

I just noticed how nice the shubbies look and think it might be a cleaner pond with them instead of koi. Do shubbies come in a butterfly? I really love the butterfly koi

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, Shubies don't officially come in a butterfly, but there are several different kind of Shubes. I have a few, just generic Shubes that have nice, flowy fins.

My absolute fave goldfish is the Watonai -- on iPhone, so no convenient link to post. They will remind you of a fantail at first glance, but have a different shape. Also, akin to them is the Wakin.

Reaction score
No, Shubies don't officially come in a butterfly, but there are several different kind of Shubes. I have a few, just generic Shubes that have nice, flowy fins.

My absolute fave goldfish is the Watonai -- on iPhone, so no convenient link to post. They will remind you of a fantail at first glance, but have a different shape. Also, akin to them is the Wakin.
Thanks, I may have seen some of your pics in different threads! I'm excited to not have to have lots of koi now that I'm falling for all the different goldies out there. I own one yellow koi that is about 4" and my just get a butterfly, the rest will be goldies for sure!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, I may have seen some of your pics in different threads! I'm excited to not have to have lots of koi now that I'm falling for all the different goldies out there. I own one yellow koi that is about 4" and my just get a butterfly, the rest will be goldies for sure!
Just remember that koi grow, and more so than goldfish. Depending on the size of your pond, a couple of koi might be all your pond can handle.

Reaction score
Shubbies are a very pretty fish. My first pond fish was a shubby. As they get bigger their fins get longer and flowy like a butterfly koi, just don't get as big :) In my experience the blue ones ( at least they are here) are harder to find and more sought after as a
"prettier" fish. But to each his own

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love the shubbies and I just learned all the new variety of them and also the watonai. I'm now asking for watonai pair for my b-day but I might not be able to wait that long... I also got 3 sarasa from the beginning as they are part of the feeder goldfish I bought. At first I didnt like them and plan on giving them away but they grew on me and I want some variety.

I have 3 sarasa, 2 calico shubunkin, and 1 blue shubunkin (pretty).
I also have many guppies in my pond ;)

Reaction score
image.jpg

This is one of two I have now he's almost 4" long
image.jpg

Here are some of the hungry guys :)

Reaction score
I love the shubbies and I just learned all the new variety of them and also the watonai. I'm now asking for watonai pair for my b-day but I might not be able to wait that long... I also got 3 sarasa from the beginning as they are part of the feeder goldfish I bought. At first I didnt like them and plan on giving them away but they grew on me and I want some variety.

Oh guppies? I live in Michigan... will the guppies live thru winter?

Reaction score
One thing to think about... Brighter color fish will be much more visible.... White, orange, yellow... I can barely find a black fish in my pond. A dark Shubunkin is also hard to find.

Thanks, my neighbor said that most his black babies survive because the predators can't see them. I have just decided to skip the 2nd koi and have a pretty fantail of some sort. My only other idea for a fish is a bright white and orange color mix. But I'm not too picky with fishies. I have 2 large aquariums and am used to some fish living forever and some not so long. Such is life!

Reaction score
Just remember that koi grow, and more so than goldfish. Depending on the size of your pond, a couple of koi might be all your pond can handle.
I think I will stick with my 1 koi and go for more goldies now!!! pond is 14x11x3 with 14' stream.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Where are you (hopefully) getting your Watonai from? My favorite fish, then Wakin/Shubunkin are tied for 2nd.

Ask a Question