Fish, Fish, Fish pictures please!!!??

Reaction score
Lisa have you been able to calculate gallons yet?
Not yet I was going to use the flexible tape measure when I was done rocking. I have a 250 gallon hot tub on the deck and I keep looking at the tub then the pond and my gambling guess is 500-800 by the time the rocks are in???? The surface area is what I may be under estimating. I used a laser level to get my water line and discovered I had 3 more inches if I raised my skimmer. Did that last week!!

Ya know with that storm we had today it filled the deep winter hole!

But.....you got me thinking greedy for water today! I am going to shave my shelves off of the side that isn't rocked yet. Tomorrow if its not storming, after my hubby leaves the house!!! It will be done before he gets back and he may not even notice. It should net me about 80 gallons as I rough measure it to be the size of 2 40 gallons tanks in my house!! I didn't like those plant shelves anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Aug 6 2013 pond 012.JPG
Goldies and Shubbies for me. This is from last year. I still have all the same fish just bigger!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh guppies? I live in Michigan... will the guppies live thru winter?

I got the guppies out in fall and have them inside for the winter - got me busy and have nice fishies to look at while my shubbies hibernate. They love the pond. They got so big and more colorful than when they were in the tank and also the babies grew super fast (I took a few to the inside tank and after a month the ones outside are twice the size and already show colors and the ones inside still baby looking) They are so much fun to look at in the big pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Where are you (hopefully) getting your Watonai from? My favorite fish, then Wakin/Shubunkin are tied for 2nd.
My wish list is to get them from Raingarden in Hawaii but they got expensive. So I'm now looking at Ebay (Koi to the world) which also expensive but they've been doing the discount lately. I like Raingarden selection and that they say which is male / female while I will have to guess for the ebay.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My wish list is to get them from Raingarden in Hawaii but they got expensive. So I'm now looking at Ebay (Koi to the world) which also expensive but they've been doing the discount lately. I like Raingarden selection and that they say which is male / female while I will have to guess for the ebay.
Someday I will try Raingarden, but Koi To The World is where I've gotten mine. One thing I don't like about KTTW is that, if you'll notice, the pictures they show are basically the same view. They are different shots, but are all "above" shots -- no "side" shots.

Reaction score
Here are a couple videos with are fish in them

Ok, I'm really trying to talk myself out of butterfly koi and these videos didn't help!!!! You could be an enabler!!!! I love the flowing tails on your huge fishies. Thanks for sharing!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Here's a pic of most of my fish. I don't feed them much so they don't get that big. The biggest one is that spotted white/grey/black one. He's about 6 inches long from 3" when I first got him. But not only longer, he's gotten a lot fatter.

The two gold ones on top are also koi. The pale ones with the red dots on their heads are feeders. They were tiny when I got them last year. The big black one is a feeder who has grown 2-3x as big as another feeder we got at the same time.

The two orange ones on the right are feeders we got this year.

The big orange and white one in the middle is a Shubunkin that really grew a lot just last year. Same thing, all these fish are not just longer, they are a lot fatter.

Also, you can see a lot of algae fuzz sludge at the bottom. The water is absolutely clear, hard to see on this photo. Not sure of the sludge is from the sludge eating stuff I've added to the pond because I usually don't have that after vacuuming.

azgmyw.jpg

Reaction score
Here's a pic of most of my fish. I don't feed them much so they don't get that big. The biggest one is that spotted white/grey/black one. He's about 6 inches long from 3" when I first got him. But not only longer, he's gotten a lot fatter.

The two gold ones on top are also koi. The pale ones with the red dots on their heads are feeders. They were tiny when I got them last year. The big black one is a feeder who has grown 2-3x as big as another feeder we got at the same time.

The big orange and white one in the middle is a Shubunkin that really grew a lot just last year. Same thing, all these fish are not just longer, they are a lot fatter.

Also, you can see a lot of algae fuzz sludge at the bottom. The water is absolutely clear, hard to see on this photo. Not sure of the sludge is from the sludge eating stuff I've added to the pond because I usually don't have that after vacuuming.

Thanks John for the info. I hope to only feed once a day. I have 4 small fish now inside 1 koi, 2 shubs, 1 goldie. I only feed them once a day. They are in a 40 gal. with 2 pumps going!!! Not doing another koi. I do have a good system and large pump for the pond. Gonna bog part of my stream as well. I want my fishies to have a healthy life. Thanks for the water and muck info also. I'm debating on a vac or not. I will see what happends, several of my friends who have ponds don't vac but clean out stuff a lot. Maybe those fat fish of yours like it!!! My pond isn't big enough to support big koi :( but the next addition will help!!! Shhhh!

azgmyw.jpg
[/QUO

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

azgmyw.jpg
I really like the look of the big spotted white one. He's spotted like a dalmatian but built like a little bulldog. (y)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I really like the look of the big spotted white one. He's spotted like a dalmatian but built like a little bulldog. (y)
Thanks! Here's a pic of him with his mouth wide open saying "Feed me!" or "Get out of my way!" He was part of a pair I got from Petsmart a few years ago. The other one was a gold spotted color. I think they were weakly at first before finally thriving. Like many other fish, his coloring has changed. He now has a few gold and grey spots but at the beginning he was mostly black and white. He is now literally the biggest fish in the pond.
k9x209.jpg

Reaction score
wowie zowie! I likies your fishies! This is what I'm talking about but on a smaller scale. How many are koi?
Thank you :) I have 5 koi ( 2 of which are butterfly, 1 solid orange ogon, and one is black with white markings) 2 blue shubbies, 2 comets, 1 black goldfish and 3 goldfish from a festival. Lots of minnows rosey and silver/black.
image.jpg

This is a white butterfly koi

image.jpg

And if anyone can tell me the type of koi this black one is?
image.jpg

His pectorals are black with the edges trimmed in white and has a white belly. He's really hard to get a good picture of

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 266
Reaction score
Do you mean 400g?
Sorry I didn't express clearly. I am still installing my pond and I have a couple 40 gallon fish tanks inside my house. One is a community tropical fish and the other is for the pond fish. Once my pond is done they will live out side!! My pond is 14L x 11W x 3D. But the diesel guy inspired me to get more gallons in because sealing in rocks on my verticals are taking up water space!! It's all his fault!!! Sooo I went outside today (after hubby left) and removed 1 large shelf (that I didn't like anyway) and widened another side!! I dug out 2 mounded lawn tractor trailer loads of clay!!! I might just have added another 100+ gallons!!!!!! Im happy!!!!! No gravel for me, on the horizontals.

Ask a Question