Fish for Pond with limited or no filtration

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond that I inherited when I bought a house 8 years ago. I think I have finally fixed the water loss problem left by the prior owner (I was having to run a full hose for 20 minutes every 2 days to keep it full). Now that I don’t have to do that, I’d like to consider fish. The prior owner didn’t have fish.

My pond has an external pump about 30 feet away from the skimmer box with underground pipes and cycles it to an upper “bucket” from underneath that produces the first waterfall when it overflows. Inside the waterfall bucket are 4 flat horsehair-type filters stacked on top of each other. These were there from the prior owner. I think they provide a biological function that help support a natural environment. The water flows about 25 feet to the large, main pond which is 4-5 feet deep depending on location. There are no other filters other than a plastic basket in the primer pot and a plastic filter on the end of the pipe in the skimmer box to prevent leaves. Can I succeed with fish without any other filtration?…UV, etc? I wouldn’t know how to add this to my system if necessary. Thank you.

Attachments

• B5C6D448-7A0C-4187-A267-E713BCBA62E3.jpeg
    B5C6D448-7A0C-4187-A267-E713BCBA62E3.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 37

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
add areation . Cheapest wat to go . I made all my hoses for evry thing run inside my pond and then stock tank filters are inside liner . Congrats on figuring it all out . Every pond is different and you have to adjust it to yu and get inventive . UV"S are not need along as you have plenty of good areated water and don't overfeed fish or over populate pond with fish . Great job by the way looks good . I also use koi clay it binds with algae to starve it of oxygen .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would start with three little goldfish and see how it goes. As Sissy said, adding aeration and not overstocking or over feeding will be key. I would also add lots of plants.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kooky bird 2.gif
@ifavault
It depends on how dirty your pond gets w/the amount of fish you have.

Ask a Question