FOUNTAIN GRASS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How does fountain grass do as a "bog" plant?

I bought some recently [purple fountain grass, not the dwarf kind], looking for something quick & temporary to give a good spread in the "turtle" part of the pond [the boxies apparently don't like the openness of their watering hole, so trying to give them some over-head cover].

I planted some in plastic colanders that I lined with fine netting [fabric netting], using the cat litter/pea gravel method. Placed them in the turtle habitat part, in the water where just an inch or so of the BOTTOM of the colander is submerged. Once they perked up from the transplant, they look really nice!. Anyway, yesterday was doing some rearranging and noticed they are putting roots out through the sides and bottom of the colander like crazy, right into the water. This surprised me as I was thinking this was more of a plant that liked dryer conditions -- and was only using it now as a temporary "fix."

Just wondering if they can go directly into a "bog-type" setting? They are not supposed to be invasive, but not sure how they'd tolerate winter weather in the water.....

BTW, I bought 2 big clumps and had plenty left over to plant around the outside of the pond & turtle habitat. Put them so there is a visual combining [softening] of the 2 areas. Looks pretty good, and I'm NOT a landscaper by any means!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, losing it! I coulda sworn I replied to this, SISSY! Must have failed to "post."

I was asking if you have the pot just suspended or actually in the water. I took one of the plants out of the colander-pot and planted it in some of the deeper boggy gravel I have in the "boy" side of the habitat [it's dry on top, so only the roots are in the wet part]. Going to leave it there and see how it does, and will do the same for the "girl" side as soon as I add more gravel.

The info on these plants says they are "drought-tolerent," yet when you read about bog-suitable plants, they list things like grasses, rushes, etc. I hope it does well, 'cause it REALLY DOES look good there, and I've seen the turtles hiding under it more than once.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was not sure about grasses either until colleen told me what great water cleaners they are and put them all over my pond from some of the I'm gonna die rack if you don't buy me at lowes and these things really do clean the water .I put them in my basement last year when I bought them and brought them back out this past spring and divided them and was going to plant them in my landscaping but then saw colleens post and into kitty litter they went and into my pond .

This was the size of the clumps and after they got this big and I even thinned them out and gave some to the neighbors and friends for there ponds

Attachments

• pond 2012 034.JPG
    pond 2012 034.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 482
  • appliances 2012 018.JPG
    appliances 2012 018.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 552

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The fountain grass I have two one is suspended up farther than the other and one is in the water almost to the top of the pot .I wanted to just see which grew better half in the water or mostly in ,an experiment .They seem so far to be growing the same amount so no difference after a month .I also have two of them planted in my landscaping .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have had a few wild pieces grow between my rocks and the liner, the roots are in the water and they do fine. I yank them out every spring and new ones seem to sprout up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those tops that flower out drop seeds I have collected a few and if you leave decent root ball guessing they will come back if they are sturdy healthy plants .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, that was 6 months ago [time sure does fly!]. Everything has died back for the "winter." Even though they recommend leaving the dead foliage, I decided to cut back the 2 plants that I put in the "turtle bogs." This was necessary so I could get in those tight spaces to work on the bog irrigation system. There was also a little curiosity involved as I am too impatient to wait to see if they come back. Good news is that there is evidence of new growth! Yea!! I was worried that 1) they wouldn't survive in the water, and 2) that they wouldn't over-winter well [my SIL, who is more of a gardener than I'll ever be, told me that she's never had PFG come back in the spring -- it's one of her favorites, and she only lives 10 miles from me, so figured she'd be the one to know....].

(It's kinda creepy when you GOOGLE something -- "purple fountain grass used in bogs" -- and the very first listing is the post you made to GPF 6 months earlier. Well, maybe "creepy" isn't the right word, but it is weird....)

Ask a Question