addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a crack up! Too bad not filmed john!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Poor frog was hot today. He's usually on his pad but today he immersed himself in the cool water tub.
IMG_6056.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Neat story, Haro, and congrats on new frogs in ponds everyone! I have a dozen or so bullfrogs and other frogs showing up now. I took these pics this afternoon mostly in the goldfish pond, as I was sitting by it, hoping to catch a glimpse of the snapper who I assume moved from koi pond to goldfish pond and wiped out all of my little fantails. I had just bought 9 of them about a month ago, they were all there (at least 6 of them that I counted) last Sunday before I went on vacation. This morning, didn't see any of them. Anyhow, I got some good frog pics while I patiently waited ... figure the turtle is gone, nothing more available to him to eat, as the goldfish are probably too fast or too large for him (it was only maybe 4" long).
Bullfrog eyes.JPG
Floating bullfrog.JPG

This little guy was on my koi pond waterfall rock all day long today! He finally repositioned himself late in the day, but was still there at dark.
Little guy on waterfall all day.JPG

This little one is a peeper, I think, or maybe a northern cricket frog. He was in the stream, on top of some spongey algae and along with the parrots feather. He is quite loud when he "sings"!
Tiny frog on algae and parrots feather.JPG

How many frogs do you see in the next pic? Answer - 4!
Bullfrogs.JPG

These are two pairs of bullfrogs in the goldfish pond. As I sat there, they would pop their heads up and come sit on the lilies. As long as I stayed put, they were fine with me being close, maybe 5' away. I was reading, just kept peeking for a photo op. :) The first pic they look mad at each other, and the second pic a conversation is possibly going on. However, they are two separate sets of frogs.
Two bullfrogs.JPG
Two more bullfrogs.JPG

And, I know this is for "frogs only", but here is my little painted turtle buddy. He has been around several weeks now, sometimes in the koi pond, then next day he may be in the goldfish pond. I only have to feed the fish to figure out which pond he is in. He's gotten quite good at learning to hold back to wait for food to be tossed to him. :)
My turtle buddy.JPG

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
CountryEscape, HOW DARE YOU put photos of turtles on this thread! This is for FROGS ONLY! HAVE YOU NO SHAME!?! :DHaha I'm kidding, your turtle looks great and so do the frogs!

I had a leopard frog pass through last year, but he was only here a few weeks. My pond wasn't exactly in top condition last year, and I just got it running this year, so it makes sense that he wasn't too happy. Maybe he or someone like him will come back :). We sometimes get "spring peepers" in our lawn here, it would be cool to get some tiny little taddies in the pond at some point too. My pond probably isn't the best for tadpole survival though, since it is very deep everywhere. frogs probably don't feel safe laying their eggs in here haha.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@CountryEscape you sure do have lots of drama going on in your ponds CE. Sorry you lost all those nice new fantails. That's what happens when you go on a nice vacation. I love that cute little turtle but the snapping one has to stay away.

@ZmanArt007 I guess that must be why I never get any tadpoles........too deep but I do have a couple frogs that hang out so I'm happy. One year they did have tadpoles in my bathtub pond but none since. Frogs in there too but no tads :(

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
@ZmanArt007 I guess that must be why I never get any tadpoles........too deep but I do have a couple frogs that hang out so I'm happy. One year they did have tadpoles in my bathtub pond but none since. Frogs in there too but no tads :(
Yeah, the way I see it, it seems that frogs usually spawn around plants on the banks of ponds and lakes, and since deeper ponds don't have as much of a bank, they probably opt against it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Plus if my frogs do lay any eggs in the big pond my fish are right there immediately to gobble them up and I have no fish in the little bathtub pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My frogs never lay eggs in the big pond, they just use the small mostly fishless ponds.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I get frogs spawning in two old bathtubs I use to start plants, as well as a few smaller tubs. The last two years they've tried the turtle pond too... did anyone know that Red-Eared Sliders will EAT frogs?? :eek:
John

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Here are my same two frogs snapped with a lower quality iPod camera. I think scariness is all in size. At 2 inches or so, they are cute. At 20 inches, they would be monsters.

All these two do are sit out in the hot Sun all day. I have no idea why these two do this:
4ruvc0.jpg

5jv8nd.jpg

They even allow my daughter to approach within a few inches of them.

Here's a better pic taken of the darker frog before my MI with a better camera:
23valap.jpg

The first 2 pics were taken today and are definitely different frogs. The 3rd pic was taken before. Do you think that's a different frog from the first 2?

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep they all look different to me John. They have different spots in different places. I found two frogs in my big pond the other night so went to look in the bathtub pond to see if the other two were still there. Yep they were so have at least 4 frogs now :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
I was thinking I may have to leave all you lovely pond people as I hadn't seen a frog in my pond for a while... I have about 4 newts, And LOADS of newt tadpoles and baby newts, but that doesn't help in a FROGs ONly group.

However, to my delight today when trying to finish the pond I found a head popping out of one of my pond plants. It let me get really close with my macro lens to get these two photos and didn't move when having to move a stem out the way!

image.jpg

image.jpg

What made it better when I went out this evening, I heard 5 separate plops as I walked around my two ponds. I saw one of the frogs jump and was astonished... It covered about a meter in 2 jumps, and got on the pond from a height of 2 or 3 foot!

Feeling better I can remain in the group, even though I lost all my tadpoles :(

Ask a Question