j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Alrighty then but I would like to have some of whatever I found on the net that is actually the Starwort as it sounds cool! Maybe I can find it at a lake around here and hope the fish don't like to eat it like the duckweed cuz that stuff never lasts long in my pond.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks j.w., i wish the frogs could realize their habitat has been spared. Maybe they're psychic and know already, they seem to know when a bug is around anyway

Reaction score
Are you referring to the LIGHT green plant? It's duckweed.
John

No it's not, it is Starwort. I do have also have duckweed but that is Starwort in the picture.

Trust me, that picture is duckweed. Callitriche has a stem up to 15" long, with narrow, long leaves.
John

Trust me, it is Starwort as I'm looking at the label which came with the plant when I put it in the pond in that exact location.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And so the mass exodus has almost completed. Watching the tadpoles and developing frogs has come to an end for another year. It was good fun watching those tiny little things clamber out the pond and disappear into the small stone crevices and beyond.

I wonder how many will return?

littlefrogs-04-18June2014.png

littlefrogs-01-18June2014.png

littlefrogs-02-18June2014.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I vote with Figgy, it has stems and the leaves are growing from stem, then stretch across the pond to another set of leaves. Duckweed is a mass of leaves, or what I have is. Plus, duckweed in my stream is teeny tiny, those tiny tads would still be MUCH larger than the duckweed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My friend who live a mile away from me told me today she have many tadpoles so my son and I went to her house with a bucket. We came home with about 20 different kind of tads. Some already almost through the process. So now I have about 4 tree frogs which I hope they stick around...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Awwwww adorable babies, Nepen! I hear tree frogs here, but as yet have NEVER spotted one. I think I have the type that are actually in or on my trees, and they are so camoflauged they are nearly impossible to spot ... or that's my excuse. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My frogs lay eggs in the bog, then I end up with tons of tads they manage to survive. The frogs live in the bog, one of their favorite places to be.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My frogs lay eggs in the bog, then I end up with tons of tads they manage to survive. The frogs live in the bog, one of their favorite places to be.
Mine doesn't really have any place to hide. I could see a Robin taking it for food.The plants aren't really filling in well. I think my daylily is just barely hanging on. Rushes are doing great, though. They just aren't cover plants.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Throw in a piece of floating plastic or liner for it to hide under or anything non-poison that floats. He might have a chance then :)

Ask a Question